Using Hemp to build homes

  • Ron Foster
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 13, 2010
      Apparently, there are good reasons for using Hemp to build homes. Once set, it's as strong as concrete, but far less toxic. The problem is archaic laws here in the US prevent us from importing Hemp. Otherwise, it would be very cheap as well.

      http://content.usatoday.com/communities/greenhouse/post/2010/09/hemp-houses-built-asheville/1?csp=usat.me

      --
      Ron Foster – President
      Solar Panels of America LLC
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 13, 2010
        Ron
        You can provide all kinds of products with hemp and that includes oil. You can eat products with hemp, build with them, wear them, and drive with them. It is a crying shame that in this country that is ripe for job creation we do not use hemp to create an industry that will clearly solve many of our problems. Hemp gorws with very little water and is virtually pesticide free. It does not get any more simpler than this as far as a solution to our lack of manufactoring. There is a movement to get this industry going.... The trick seems to be getting our government to get with it. Some states are ahead of us in advocating hemp. It seems to me nothing will be done until the powers above figure out how to profit from it.
        As a permaculturist I will say that industrialized anything is not the answer so then...
        what needs to happen is that everyone is allowed to grow and use it and if done in a biodiverse way, all the better. Evelyn

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 13, 2010

            Never heard about the tornado, but the USDA certainly sponsored its planting, most notably in its 1942 film “Hemp for Victory”.

            You can read about it here:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp_for_Victory

            Or watch it here:

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne9UF-pFhJY

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 16, 2010
              The problem is, people have this misconception that importing hemp will mean that everyone is getting high... but as Ron Paul famously said in his speech in Minneapolis in 2008... "You'd need to smoke a joint the size of a telephone pole." Too bad the folks that make the laws know so little about science.

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 17, 2010
                Actually we do import hemp and lots of it. We have clothes made out of it, linen, cooking oil and it is in beverages, cereal, and food as it has all three essential fatty acids.
                People in government are aware though, it is the main stream that is not educated.
                This can easily be misinterpreted and politicians would loose votes if they don't do a
                good job of educating the public. I used to think it was bad stuff so I went to the library and
                got books on it and boy... did I learn! It is an outrage that we are not producing it and that we are inporting it from Canada. Someone is making money........ Imagine the savings in  energy from transportation... not to mention the creation of jobs..... but nooooooooo.....

                The problem is, people have this misconception that importing hemp will mean that everyone is getting high... but as Ron Paul famously said in his speech in Minneapolis in 2008... "You'd need to smoke a joint the size of a telephone pole." Too bad the folks that make the laws know so little about science.

                > --- On Mon, 12/13/10, Ron Foster <toronfoster@...> wrote:

                The problem is archaic laws here in the US prevent us from importing Hemp. Otherwise, it would be very cheap as well.

              • Tyra Rankin
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010

                  The US laws are not just archaic – they were manipulated by powerful paper/wood industry lobbyists who outlawed their competition.  Hemp has so many uses – it’s one of the most multi-use renewable plants around.   My understanding is that Hemp is not a marijuana plant – but a cousin.

                  Tyra

                  The problem is, people have this misconception that importing hemp will mean that everyone is getting high... but as Ron Paul famously said in his speech in Minneapolis in 2008... "You'd need to smoke a joint the size of a telephone pole." Too bad the folks that make the laws know so little about science.

                  > --- On Mon, 12/13/10, Ron Foster <toronfoster@...> wrote:

                  The problem is archaic laws here in the US prevent us from importing Hemp. Otherwise, it would be very cheap as well.

                • Ed Sarlls
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010

                    Consistent with  Wikipedia

                    Cannabis sativa L. subsp. sativa var. sativa is the variety grown for industrial use, while C. sativa subsp. indica generally has poor fibre quality and is primarily used for production of recreational and medicinal drugs.

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

                    Ed

                    The US laws are not just archaic – they were manipulated by powerful paper/wood industry lobbyists who outlawed their competition.  Hemp has so many uses – it’s one of the most multi-use renewable plants around.   My understanding is that Hemp is not a marijuana plant – but a cousin.

                    Tyra

                    The problem is, people have this misconception that importing hemp will mean that everyone is getting high... but as Ron Paul famously said in his speech in Minneapolis in 2008... "You'd need to smoke a joint the size of a telephone pole." Too bad the folks that make the laws know so little about science.

                    > --- On Mon, 12/13/10, Ron Foster <toronfoster@...> wrote:

                    The problem is archaic laws here in the US prevent us from importing Hemp. Otherwise, it would be very cheap as well.

                  • Andrea Wisner
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010
                      What I want to know is - is help really a miracle fiber, or are being just excited about it because they associate in with marijuana in their minds? For every use for hemp, is it the bext possible material for that use, or is it just that it's usable for that purpose? Could anyone recommend an online scientific reference related to the properties of hemp?

                      Andrea

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010
                        http://us.mc579.mail.yahoo.com/mc/welcome?.gx=1&.tm=1292709681&.rand=27ldlj8l8of26#_pg=showMessage&sMid=13&fid=Hemp&filterBy=&.rand=1111320686&midIndex=1 3&mid=1_11580_AGLsjkQAALaZTMXihwpvXUh6k%2BA&fromId=evelynsardina@...&m=1_6781_AF7sjkQAAHWqTMXtwgL4BU7dcrI,1_7797_AGDsjkQAAWetTMXtiQgK6xF%2BnSA,1_9050_AGXsjkQAADWsTMXsAQJVu3dmgYE,1_9827_AGLsjkQAAQjyTMXq3QfXlVMvi2I,1_10649_AGXsjkQAAX%2BTTMXm%2FQnRJzkkLRA,1_11580_AGLsjkQAALaZTMXihwpvXUh6k%2BA,1_12337_AGPsjkQAADhvTMXh0gBUcRWjcvw,1_13207_AGXsjkQAAS2JTMXf1wCPFlkwrKY,1_14041_AGDsjkQAANT1TMXekge%2B7GoEs1I,1_14836_AGHsjkQAAHBjTMXcywJyvzKb9KY,1_15617_AGDsjkQAAIhyTMXYnge8fjdWVnE,&sort=date&order=down&startMid=0&hash=287830999b5a5291ff5d746024110f2e&.jsrand=850164

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010
                          Here is a good one and pay attention to the fuel part....

                          Don't know if this will go through....

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010
                            Check spam box I sent 2 links. Pay attention to the fuel section.
                            Hope this helps, Evelyn

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010

                              That sounded like an easy question. Google gives many sources of opinion and historical reference. It has been used for thousands of years, … Specific strength values and insulation numbers are a bit elusive. My old Kent’s Mechanical Engineers Handbook stated that it is a good valve packing when combined with tallow.

                              Here is a link to a PhD Thesis for Anders Thygesen, Risø National Laboratory , Roskilde ,Denmark

                              http://130.226.56.153/rispubl/bio/biopdf/ris-phd-11.pdf

                              http://www.hempusa.org/hmps/articles/hemp-fiber-and-fabrics.html

                              Cotton/hemp diapers (from China) L

                              http://www.hempfabricshop.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1

                              Good hemp rope will bear the following weights, according to size:

                              Circumference.

                              Pounds.

                              inch.......

                              200

                              "......

                              312

                              "......

                              450

                              "......

                              612

                              2

                              "......

                              800

                              "......

                              1.012

                              "......

                              1.250

                              "......

                              1.512

                              I finally found a relative good chart at http://www-materials.eng.cam.ac.uk/mpsite/short/OCR/ropes/default.html

                              These are “specific “ Properties. Hemp is comparable to steel (according to the figure) on a weight basis , not on an equal size basis.

                              Ed

                              http://www-materials.eng.cam.ac.uk/mpsite/short/OCR/ropes/COLOUR_CHART.JPG

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010

                                Young's modulus
                                (GPa)

                                Density
                                (kg/m3)

                                Strength
                                (MPa)

                                Cotton

                                7.9

                                1,540

                                225

                                Hemp

                                32

                                1,490

                                300

                                Bulk Polyester

                                2.9

                                1,300

                                50

                                Bulk Nylon

                                2.5

                                1,090

                                63

                                Carbon Fibre

                                300

                                1,770

                                3,430

                                Aramid Fibre

                                124

                                1,450

                                3,930

                                Polyester Fibre

                                13.2

                                1,390

                                784

                                Nylon Fibre

                                3.9

                                1,140

                                616

                                Alloy Steel

                                210

                                7,800

                                1,330

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 20, 2010
                                  Wow, you are awesome! I've developed an abiding interest in materials (especially natural and easily-obtained materials) so I'm starting to save websites like this.

                                  If I may ask another question - which area of engineering is most closely-tied to studying airflow in buildings? My daughter is finishing up her civil engineering degree and doesn't seem to know that much about it. If anyone knows of good books and/or online materials on this subject, please post.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Andrea

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 20, 2010

                                    Here are a few sources. Books on the subject tend to be expensive but there should be enough references from the government and universities to keep her busy. Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning, HVAC, is the general area. Check the Mechanical Engineering and Architecture departments at the universities. Computational Fluid Dynamics is applicable if you have a 3D model of the area of interest and a lot of computing power, see the last report. I just searched “airflow in buildings” and got over a million hits. Model studies with dye or smoke were used before computer models.

                                    Flow visualization is another area to check.

                                    Best wishes to your daughter, she should enjoy her career.

                                    Ed

                                    http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/vitalsigns/res/downloads/rp/airflow/HEER1-BG.PDF

                                    http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/tools_directory/subjects.cfm/pagename=subjects/pagename_menu=other_applications/pagename_submenu=ventilation_airflow

                                    http://epb.lbl.gov/comis/