RE: [hreg] No New Drilling in Gulf for Seven Years

  • Tyra Rankin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2010

      I’ve been told by someone who is an amazing futurist that in 10 years the price of oil will be below $10 a barrel.  We will move to electric cars faster than anyone thinks – not just electric cars, but “electronic cars,” meaning our cars will be like an iPad – no longer a dumb mechanical device.  The Tipping Point for conversion to electric vehicles will happen a lot sooner than most think – from a much smaller number of total users.  The tipping point is something like a couple of million EV drivers only – nationwide!

      Currently, the low price of natural gas is hurting electricity generating renewables, not just coal.  Legislation in various states and the EPA may soon diminish use of coal.

      Tyra

      From: jcargas@...

      Sender: hreg@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:47:00 -0500

      To: < hreg@yahoogroups.com >

      ReplyTo: hreg@yahoogroups.com

      Not unless everyone is driving an electric car.... which will take at least 15+ years to switch over our current fleet, will be more hybrid than true electric and exclude trucks and buses.  Solar and renewables do not compete with oil.  They are competing with cheap and plentiful coal.

      Instead, it will only mean higher gasoline prices as we beceme even more dependant on imported oil.  While this would accerate the move to electric vehicles, it will hit those unable to spend $25,000+ on a new car the hardest.

      Although the reported ban is limited to the Eastern Gulf , where drilling is currently not allowed, it is still a short sighed idea.