No New Drilling in Gulf for Seven Years

  • Oluwaseun Oyeniran
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2010
      http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/01/source-no-new-drilling-in-gulf-for-seven-years/

      If this is indeed true, opportunity for solar and other renewables perhaps?

      --
      Oluwaseun (Seun) Oyeniran
      SOyeniran@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2010

        Not unless everyone is driving an electric car.... which will take at least 15+ years to switch over our current fleet, will be more hybrid than true electric and exclude trucks and buses.  Solar and renewables do not compete with oil.  They are competing with cheap and plentiful coal.
        Instead, it will only mean higher gasoline prices as we beceme even more dependant on imported oil.  While this would accerate the move to electric vehicles, it will hit those unable to spend $25,000+ on a new car the hardest.
        Although the reported ban is limited to the Eastern Gulf, where drilling is currently not allowed, it is still a short sighed idea.

      • pchelectricoftexas@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2010
          Amen

          From: jcargas@...
          Sender: hreg@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:47:00 -0500
          To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: hreg@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [hreg] No New Drilling in Gulf for Seven Years

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2010

            While I agree with jcargas that this drilling ban will (likely) mean higher gasoline prices, and that this would hit those (in the lower income brackets) hardest, I disagree that this (the ban) is a short sighted idea.

            It would be (has been) short sighted to continuously chase the carrot of lower gasoline prices to the exclusion of so many other factors.  Rather, it (the ban) is long term idea, looking well beyond the short term (temporary) pain of higher gasoline prices, to long term energy independence and environmental stewardship.

            Sorry folks, but the United States needs a course correction, and we don’t seem to be able to muster the energy (pun intended) to implement one unless things get a little uncomfortable……….and stay that way.  It is then, and only then (historically speaking) that we readjust, create, adapt, and grow to our potential.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2010

              Well said, Andrew!

              Heliosolar Design, Inc.

              Kevin Conlin

              PH: 281-202-9629

              kevin@...

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2010
                Great input and insight everyone.  Let us see what becomes of this.

                Good day.

                On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 7:55 PM, kevin conlin <kevin@...> wrote:

                Well said, Andrew!

                Heliosolar Design, Inc.

                Kevin Conlin

                PH: 281-202-9629

                kevin@...

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2010

                  I’ve been told by someone who is an amazing futurist that in 10 years the price of oil will be below $10 a barrel.  We will move to electric cars faster than anyone thinks – not just electric cars, but “electronic cars,” meaning our cars will be like an iPad – no longer a dumb mechanical device.  The Tipping Point for conversion to electric vehicles will happen a lot sooner than most think – from a much smaller number of total users.  The tipping point is something like a couple of million EV drivers only – nationwide!

                  Currently, the low price of natural gas is hurting electricity generating renewables, not just coal.  Legislation in various states and the EPA may soon diminish use of coal.

                  Tyra