Which CSP Technology Will Win?

  • Philip Timmons
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2010
      Interesting article about differing types of Concentrated Solar Power plants going in around the California desert. The story sort of presents it as a competition, but all seem to work fine in practice.

      http://www.renewablesbiz.com/article/10/10/which-csp-technology-will-win

      I usually treat the Trough v. Mirrors/Power Tower v. Stirling Dishes discussions as a Ford v. Chevy thing. If they are running and heading my direction, any truck is fine by me. Looking at doing some of the work on the Blythe project.

      It is interesting to me in that none are PV, and so if they are well-designed and the construction costs are well-managed they could beat Coal on the price. If these are put in Good Enough, Cheap Enough and Fast Enough -- any or all could be Coal on production price, and that is a tipping point for whole industry.

      Also a sad note is that none of these are being done in Texas, although Stirling/Tessera have talked about plans for Marfa for a while. They have a pretty sharp and educational YouTube video of their toys, if you all have not seen them >>>

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIumOmGMA-U