Fwd: Conference - The Carbon Ranch: Using Food and Stewardship to Build Soil and Fight Climate Change

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2010
      This conference is a step toward switching our food production back
      to solar energy. Since 1940, it went from half a calorie fossil fuel
      to produce a calorie of food to 10 calories of fossil fuel for each
      calorie of food. 20 times more. 1% of global energy is used to
      produce nitrogen for chemical fertilizers. Another huge amount to
      make synthetic potassium. 50% of nitrogen is now imported and 80% of
      potassium fertilizer.

      Resolarizing our food production would not only wean us off of
      increasingly expensive fossil fuels but also improve soil fertility,
      improve food quality, add to food security, and could sequester huge
      amounts of carbon in the soils.

      Nan Hildreth

> [...]
      >Jeff Moyer, Farm Director for the Rodale Institute, Pennsylvania
      >
      >5:30-7:30 Currier Award Ceremony - Sierra Room
      >The Michael S. Currier Environmental Service Award, administered by
      >the New Mexico Community Foundation and sponsored by the Thaw
      >Charitable Trust, honors individuals for their contributions to the
      >environmental health of the American Southwest. This year the award
      >will be presented to Courtney White, author and co-Founder of the
      >Quivira Coalition at a reception and ceremony with wine and hors d'
      >oeuvres. A production by award winning documentarian Jack Loeffler,
      >will highlight the success of Courtney's contribution to the health
      >of working landscapes in the American Southwest. Seating is limited
      >to the capacity of the room
      >
      >Friday, November 12 - Sandia Ballroom
      >
      >Session IV: The Urban Perspective
      >8:30
      >"Underground Economics: Making Markets to Solve Cities' Problems
      >Through Soil Formation."
      >Abe Collins, New Soil Matrix, Inc. and New Soil Quantum, Inc., Vermont
      >
      >9:15
      >"A Watershed Perspective"
      >Brock Dolman, Director of the Occidental Arts & Ecology Center, California
      >
      >10-10:30 BREAK
      >
      >Session V: Case Study / The Ranney Ranch
      >10:30
      >"Working with Carbon: The Interplay of Range Management, Grassfed
      >Beef, Wind and Biomass,"
      >Nancy Ranney, Ranney Ranch Grassfed Beef, New Mexico
      >and
      >Steven Apfelbaum, Applied Ecological Services, Wisconsin
      >
      >12:00-1:30 LUNCH
      >
      >Session VI: Putting It All Together
      >1:30
      >"Sequestering Carbon for the Carbon Market: Doing it and Proving it"
      >Dr. Bill Chameides, Dean of the Nicholas School of the Environment,
      >Duke U., North Carolina
      >
      >2:15
      >"Carbon Ranching and Agrarianism: the Emerging Fifth Wave of
      >Conservation in America."
      >Courtney White, The Quivira Coalition, New Mexico
      >
      >3:00-3:30 BREAK
      >
      >3:30 - 5pm
      >Special Session:Young Agrarians Respond to the Challenge of Climate Change
      >A Dialogue with Conference Speakers and Audience Members
      >Moderator: Severine von Tscharner
      >with:
      >Amber Reed
      >Vanessa Prielson
      >Sam Ryerson
      >
      >6:30pm - Burch Award Banquet - Sierra Room
      >The $20,000 Burch award will be presented to The Altar Valley
      >Conservation Alliance and The Quivira Coalition Radical Center
      >Awards for; Ranching, Conservation, Civil Service and Research. (to
      >be announced)
      >This meal will be all local with donated grassfed beef (vegetarians
      >will be accommodated).
      >

      >"Rapid topsoil formation is the greatest priority and the greatest
      >opportunity of our time".
      >- Abe Collins, Carbon Farmers of America.

      Nan Hildreth, Houston
      713-842-6643
      NanHildreth@...

      "We transformed a system that in 1940 produced 2.3 calories of food
      energy for every calorie of fossil-fuel energy it used into one that
      now takes 10 calories of fossil-fuel energy to produce a single
      calorie of modern supermarket food. Put another way, when we eat from
      the industrial food system, we are eating oil and spewing greenhouse
      gases." The answer is to "resolarize" the American economy - which
      means weaning Americans off their heavy 20th-century diet of fossil
      fuel and put them back on a diet of ... sunshine. "If any part of the
      modern economy can be freed from its dependence on oil and
      successfully resolarized, surely it is food." - Michael Pollan, author