Hermann Scheer - listed to interview today

  • crensinkart
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2010
      Hermann Scheer died last night. Listen to one of his last (& recent) interviews today:

      Via Democracy Now! today, Oct 15: (~ 40min interview)
      .........watch video on line: http://www.democracynow.org/
      .........listen to KPFT Radio today from 5:00 - 6:00pm

      "Hermann Scheer (1944-2010): German Lawmaker, Leading Advocate for Social Energy and "Hero for the Green Century" in One of His Final Interviews
      Hermann Scheer, one of the world's leading advocates for solar power, has died at the age of sixty-six. The German economist and politician helped make Germany a renewable energy powerhouse and inspired many across the world to expand the use of solar power. Scheer had been member of the German parliament for three decades and was the president of EUROSOLAR, the European Association for Renewable Energy. In 1999, he won the Right Livelihood Award for his "indefatigable work for the promotion of solar energy worldwide." When he received the award, he described solar energy as the energy of the people. We met up with Herman Scheer last month in Bonn, Germany, for what turned out to be one of his final interviews......................."
    • Tyra Rankin
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2010

        Hermann Scheer’s unexpected death is an enormous loss to the renewables community.  Amy Goodman does an excellent job with one his very last public interviews.  His legacy is absolutely profound in the creation of a solar industry through manufacturing, investment and public demand.  The Feed-in Tariff policy whose creation and implementation Hermann lead as a member of German Parliament has become the model the world over and many, many countries are following in Germany’s footsteps to achieve energy independence using solar, wind and other renewables.  His keen insight into the political nature of energy, his amazing grasp of history and awareness that ultimately it is the power of public will that creates change have irreversibly changed the course of energy for the planet.  Germany ’s demonstration that solar could overcome the political and monetary stranglehold of conventional energy showed us the way forward.   As he says in his interview with Amy, no one can say now that it can’t be done!

        I had the opportunity to attend a lecture he gave via teleconference with Austin ’s ATI in 2007.  He was fascinating, amazing, inspiring – his understanding of the demands for creating renewable industries from whole cloth.

        He and Amy Goodman discuss his latest book just released The Energethical Imperative.  As soon as it is available in English – I will be reading it and hope many HREG members can get copies.

        He conveys so beautifully the deeper story of what is offered by a conversion to renewables – energy autonomy and what that means politically, economically, environmentally, ethically.  He says that a country like the United States is not truly a free democracy when it depends on the whims of countries such as the feudal dictatorship of Saudi Arabia for its energy supply.   Solar and renewables offers an opportunity to transform the world.  His comparisons to the computer/Internet revolution are adept – ultimately a revolution of the individual, to whom solar power also offers autonomy.

        Hermann Shcheer has left us a tremendous gift.  Groups like HREG will change the world on his shoulders.

        Tyra

[...]

      • William & Cynthia Stange
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2010
          Listened to this today. One of the most global heroes I can think of. I think we all need to listen and re-listen to this interview as an antidote for our energy woes. Every damn day!! It is startling how back-asswards we have become (meaning mostly political and economic drivers) when we've had the power all along. Pay special listening patience when he talks of the overall picture of what solar can provide, in one day even.
           My prayers to his family and dreams that what he started will live on for a very long time.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 15, 2010

            Well said, Tyra, thanks for sharing.

            Kevin Conlin
            Heliosolar Design, Inc.