Re: [hreg] Solar Tour Guide for Saturday

  • Eileen Nehiley
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2010
      The event was really good as usual. Thank you to all who gave time, energy & resources to make it happen.

      Regarding savings, were there homes that were in the price range of the average working person other than the Habitat house which isn't available to those who have some resources? REally exciting to see that Habitat is able to install energy efficient materials! Two years ago I saw a couple of ordinary homes. This year I went to a house expecting to see renovations to make an existing home more energy efficient & instead saw a 9,000 sq. foot house whose electric bill for August would have paid my monthly mortgage, taxes, insurance & electric bill. I have to wonder how it is reducing one's Carbon footprint when the materials to build such a large house use so many resources? I am pleased that those who have so much are choosing energy efficient building. Yet until it becomes realistic for the average person,  those who can afford get reduced energy bills & tax credits while the rest cannot. I understand that the investment pays over time. Yet being able to make the investment is another issue.

      It was sad to learn that the wind generating farms are the ones required to shut down when Ercot is full given that the traditional polluting electric producers machinery takes so long to shut down & power back up. Thus the wind producers lose income while the polluters are not effected at all.

      Eileen

      On Oct 2, 2010, at 6:50 PM, mkewert@... wrote:

      Robert,
      I noticed that too.  I think in the case of the Risers that some of their monetary savings must have been from other sources (efficiency or conservation) and not all from the PV.  You could also divide kWh predicted generation per year by peak installed Watts and you should get a fairly constant number. Of course there will be some variation due to panel orientation, shading, panel characteristics, etc. even if they are all in the same city with similar amounts of sun [even that could vary between Galveston and the Woodlands].
      Mike
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2010

        Kudos to all the organizers.  Saw 3 homes this afternoon and had a delightful day.  My wife was with me and much impressed by the Green Blue Hue home.  It was very pleasant inside despite having A/C turned off for the past week.  Seeing passive features working in Houston area is most impressive (having great weather doesn’t hurt either!).  The ZeRow house was also very creative and fun to see.

        My only comment would be to echo another one posted today.  It would be nice to see more homes (a) available to average buyers that (b) are lower cost.  Even the ZeRow house is estimated at $125,000 for ~500 s.f.  That’s not inexpensive.

        Robert

      • Jay
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2010
          It's difficult to make a cheap solar house. The panels are expensive.

          But, to be fair, remember there is more to the cost of a house than just what it costs to buy. There are operating costs, and solar helps reduce those.

          I thought the Burghli homes were very affordable, all things considered. Also the Zercher house was a great inspiration that any house can be improved, it doesn't have to be a new construction.

          Huge Kudos to the Healthy Blue Green hue home and the Green Mode design. Inspiring work guys.

          And huge thanks to the organizers (you know who you are!). I had a great time again this year and I can't wait until we do it again next year!