Re: [hreg] solar water tanks

  • Marge Wood
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2001
      maybe it's pipes, not a tank, who knows. our tank is in our garage; it
      holds the water and the "antifreeze" is in the pipes in the glass-covered
      box on the roof and it carries the heat to the water. mw

      On Mon, 14 May 2001 16:47:56 -0500 Kim & Garth Travis
      <gartht@...> writes:
      > Hi,
      >
      > We found the perfect design for a home built solar water heater at:
      >
      > http://www.webconx.com/2000/solar/solar.htm
      >
      > The problem is that we don't know where to find the tank part. Any
      > suggestions?
      >
      > Kim
      >

      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2001
        I read your interesting link.
        Maybe you missed it, but this is what I read:

        "Likewise, all plumbing components should be selected for resistance to
        corrosion. We recommend glass-lined, stone-lined, or heavily galvanized
        tanks, coupled with low-cost plastic plumbing."

        Also, on p. 14, if you click the picture for an enlarged parts list (it is a
        slow download), you'll see the tank listed as: "40-gallon range water tank,
        extra heavy galvanized".

        I'm not sure what the latter is. Maybe someone else knows, given that
        description?
        In any case, the pictures look at awful lot like a standard water tank minus
        the insulation and outer casing. Are you sure that wouldn't work? You can
        follow their glass lining recommendation, and I'd encourage extra anode for
        corrosion protection. There are now plastic lined water tanks too (Duron
        brand, among others) that might work well for you.

        Robert

      • Kim & Garth Travis
        Message 3 of 4 , May 15, 2001
          Robert Johnston wrote:

          > Also, on p. 14, if you click the picture for an enlarged parts list (it is a
          > slow download), you'll see the tank listed as: "40-gallon range water tank,
          > extra heavy galvanized".
          >
          > I'm not sure what the latter is. Maybe someone else knows, given that
          > description?
          > In any case, the pictures look at awful lot like a standard water tank minus
          > the insulation and outer casing. Are you sure that wouldn't work? You can
          > follow their glass lining recommendation, and I'd encourage extra anode for
          > corrosion protection. There are now plastic lined water tanks too (Duron
          > brand, among others) that might work well for you.
          >
          > Robert

          I thought it looked a bit like a well tank, but I have never seen one
          that small. I am wondering where to get one. Any suggestions?