Re: [hreg] hreg message board

  • ChasMauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 14, 2001
      Hello HREGers,

      Several recent messages have suggested that there is too much political
      commentary on this board. Since I am the only one I can think of who has
      posted anything remotely political, I assume it directed to me, so I would
      like to make a couple of comments.

      I find it hard to imagine that many people have unsubscribed because of my
      politically oriented posts, of which there have not been more than about one
      per month (maybe two if I'm really worked up). At least I have never been
      driven off a list I enjoyed just because one person made posts that I found
      ignorant, boring, crude, or whatever. I soon identify the offender and simply
      delete all his postings without reading. It's easy to do.

      But in my opinion the whole subject of renewables/conservation is an
      intensely political matter, to which anyone who keeps up with the news will
      surely agree. Some politicians promote these things actively while others
      downplay, deride, and disparage them, saying they are "personally admirable"
      but insisting they are not practical and we should concentrate on fossil
      fuels and what our president calls "nuklar" power.

      I guess it's a matter of whether we want to look at the forest or just the
      trees. It is great to talk about the nuts and bolts such as where to buy
      light bulbs, which is valuable information. I just had the idea that part of
      our objective here is not just to exchange such data but actively to educate
      ourselves about the big picture and promote the basic concept of
      renewable/sustainable in every way we can.

      I can't say that I won't continue to do some "personal political pushing" in
      the future when I come across something I think is very pertinent and
      hopefully of some interest to most of the folks on this board. And many of my
      comments might very well have a political tinge. I find that hard to avoid,
      because I see it is a vital part of our long-range goals. I will try to keep
      from being overly partisan since I realize we have a wide spectrum of
      political views here. However, our president and his vice-president will soon
      be coming out with their energy plan, and I think we should all be watching
      to see what it looks like. Based on what has leaked so far, I can assure you
      it will not be based on conservation or renewables. As I said once before,
      when you dance with a bear, you need to keep your eye on your partner.

      I have seen lists where when someone posts something "off topic" they put the
      letters OT after the subject listing, so I am willing to do that in the
      future if that will be helpful, then those who find such posts objectionable
      can just delete them -- or even all of my posts, which would ensure that
      nothing objectionable slips by. ;-)

      Sorry this is so long, and hope it is not too offensive to anyone. Sometimes
      I get kind of overwrought about things that I find very important.

      Charlie Mauch
      Retired petroleum engineer and ex-candidate for the Texas Railroad Commission
      on the Green Party ticket
    • boylss@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2001

        Keep Up the Good Work!
        I like Your posts, Charlie.
        I don't think it is "You" that needs to change "Your Opinions."

         We should All have the right to have, "Our Own Opinions,"
        even if, we don't all agree ....

        I like Bush!
        I voted for Bush,
        But I Do Not agree with every Opinion that he has, either!