SIP roofs

  • morgan_marc
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2010
      Since there has been a lot of talk about roofs lately....

      Has anyone added SIPs to a standard stick built home?

      I saw a show last year on one of the misc cable channels where ply and shingles were removed. Then SIP panels were installed. They also added solar panels, but I was more interested in feedback about the roofing.

      I assume that there would have to be some additional structure to support additional weight and it would change the look of the home a little too.

      Has anyone done this to a local home? Are there roofing companies that offer this as an option?

      The show I saw modified a home in California.

      Any feedback would be appreciated.
    • Gary Beck
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2010

        Description: http://www.eco-holdings.com/mediac/400_0/media/10127f8b0cbd7fdffff8017ffffffdc.jpgWe engineer SIP structures and work with SIP builders. We have done Three Galveston SIP homes plus the Seabrook Sailing Club (see photos).

        The SSC is all SIP construction (floor, walls, and roof). We use 8" and 10" SIPs for new roof structures, But for reroofing a 4" or 6" is plenty.

        There is a type of single skinned SIP that is intended to go over the decking of a house roof.   Just scewed on then normal roofing I nailed on top.

        The single skin saves a little money, but not much.  If you leave both skins and leave it as a standard SIP it is much much stronger.

        Since there is no appreciable cost difference between 4" and 6" roof SIP This allows opportunitities to extended the overhangs up to as much as 4' which is a nice feature.

        Description: http://www.eco-holdings.com/mediac/400_0/media/10127f8b0cbd7fdffff8013ffffffdc.jpgDescription: http://www.eco-holdings.com/mediac/400_0/media/28e64457b7f9567ffff84b1ffffffdc.JPG

        <--Rt-Clk to save all my info to your Outlook Contacts

        Gary Beck is SECB certified in the practice of Structural Engineering, is a TDI Wind Storm program engineer and is a member of ASCE, GHBA, NAHB, USGBC, and ASHRAE. Eco provides Engineering, Consulting, and Inspection Services for Residential, Commercial, and Industrial projects. Eco designs in AutoCAD, Revit Structure and Revit MEP to create 2D plans for foundations, structures, storm water systems, drainage plans, and detention pond; and 3D Building Information Modeling for complex designs and for advanced green building practices.