another roofing project with questions

  • crensinkart
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2010
      Current situation:
      My attic has 2 gable vents and soffit vents all around. The old roof (asphalt shingles) and plywood decking need to be replaced. I have blown-in insulation between the attic floor and the ceiling below.

      The plan:
      -- install a radiant barrier when replacing the decking
      -- cover the exterior with a white, metal, standing ridge roof
      -- install a solar powered attic fan

      The goal is to create a much cooler attic and ultimately reduce my AC bills.

      -->Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
      -->Any materials or installation sources to recommend?
      -->Do I need a ridge vent on a metal roof?

      I listened to Stephanie Edwards-Musa and Michael Strong's webinar on Radiant Barriers. Thanks for sharing.
      -->Cell phone interferance from radiant barriers is be very problematic! Have you heard of any solutions to that problem yet?

      Thanks,
      Crensink
    • Gary Beck
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2010

        Your Requested Words of Wisdom

        Your Life's goal is to create a much cooler attic and ultimately reduce Your AC bills.

        Since you mention Money, unless your roof blew off and rain is comin in,

        Set your dollar priorities in the right order….

        #1 Caulk and Seal Everything that is in or in a wall. (Sealing)

        #2 Check and then Caulk and Seal Everything You Missed. (Sealing)

        #3 Correct/Improve Door Weather Stripping (Sealing)

        #4 Correct/Improve Windows (Sealing)

        …notice the above trend? (Sealing!)

        #5 Increase Attic Insulation

        #6 Increase Wall Insulation (see www.homesulate.com)

        #7 Visit Dennis' www.thirtygreen.com website for more energy reduction items

        #8 Then, - Install A radiant barrier decking like LP TechShield

        - Install a white, metal, standing ridge roof on screeds if in your budget

        - install a solar powered attic fan if in your budget

        - and donate more to your church while you pray for cooler weather

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2010
          Breezemaster offers a 10-watt gabled unit, very high quality. One will accommodate around 1,200 square-foot attic, so two should do you well.
          You can also use a BM 1600, but we have some gabled units that are very cost effective.

          --
          Ron Foster – President
          Solar Panels of America LLC