Fw: RE: [hreg] Harland County

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2010
      http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/08/michigan-solar-panel-factory-assembly-tasks-move-mexico.php?campaign=daily_nl

      --- On Tue, 8/17/10, evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@...> wrote:

      From: evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@...>
      Subject: RE: [hreg] Harland County
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 12:00 PM

      Tyra

      From: hreg@yahoogroups.com [mailto: hreg@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of evelyn sardina
      Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 9:58 AM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com

      Here is the article I was talking about and this company is in Michigan.
      You are right about the politics of it all. The thing is that while we are waiting
      for the big guns to move we can be making whatever changes we can at the
      levels that we are in. I have given an example of my daughter (woman) that
      works for a big corporation with more than 300 employees. She asked in during
      Christmas how could they recycle all the styrofoam cups the company provides for
      coffee. I told her to uncycle. That they should change to ceramic mugs and this would
      end the use of this awful product. She then proceeded to make a plan for the entire
      company and presented a proposal that included selling their cardboard (which they
      were paying tipping fees to dump) to a company that uses the cardboard and picks
      it up. They accepted the porposal and the company is saving 20,000 dollars a year by
      implementing all the changes. This is not even her area of expertise but she has
      two kids and she is worried about all the trash. A person asked me if she got payed
      for it. I said no. She just did it because she felt the need to do something. BTW she
      just got a job promotion. I am so proud of her! Women power is so important because
      we act out of concerm for the well being of the kids. I send e-mails on a daily basis
      to our politicians and hold hands acrosss the sand but my small and direct actions
      are something I experience and see on a first hand basis and makes me feel like I, as
      an individual am making those changes manifest. I thank you for the work you do as
      it is very needed and important. It is a battle you fight for all of us. Keep up the good
      work! Evelyn

      From: Tyra Rankin < tyra@... >
      Subject: [hreg] Harland County
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, August 15, 2010, 9:46 PM

      Texas is not a coal mining state, so most of us don’t have direct experience of the coal miners’ long struggles like those in Virginia , the Carolinas and Kentucky .  This documentary about the efforts of Harland Co. Kentucky to unionize during the 70s shows the heart breaking suffering endured for meager wages and benefits.  Of interest is the statement that 70% of coal is used by oil companies.  If the figure is accurate, Texas has a much bigger hand in coal mining than most of us know.

      Watch on Hulu.

      http://www.hulu.com/watch/166744/harlan-county-usa

      Tyra

      Hi Tara