RE: [hreg] Harland County

  • Tyra Rankin
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 16, 2010

      Evelyn:

      Making those personal changes is key.  It is the source of great change.  But we can affect the decisions of where those companies move based on policyCompanies are moving to Mexico because of economics.  If Texas changed its policy on solar, renewables, geothermal, etc, the economics would change and more would happen in Texas .  For the last 10 years, tons of companies have moved to states like California , Arizona , New Mexico , where as we all know, the policy for solar is very supportive. Even New Jersey , New York and Pennsylvania have good solar policy, are attracting companies and seeing implementation of solar generation.  But solar companies do not come to Texas because our policy does not support them.

      Tyra

      From: Tyra Rankin < tyra@... >
      Subject: [hreg] Harland County
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, August 15, 2010, 9:46 PM

      Texas is not a coal mining state, so most of us don’t have direct experience of the coal miners’ long struggles like those in Virginia , the Carolinas and Kentucky .  This documentary about the efforts of Harland Co. Kentucky to unionize during the 70s shows the heart breaking suffering endured for meager wages and benefits.  Of interest is the statement that 70% of coal is used by oil companies.  If the figure is accurate, Texas has a much bigger hand in coal mining than most of us know.

      Watch on Hulu.

      http://www.hulu.com/watch/166744/harlan-county-usa

      Tyra

    • Tyra Rankin
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 16, 2010

        Evelyn:

        A few more thoughts about changing consumer behavior.  I learned that there are folks who study ways in which groups or individuals modify or adopt new strategies, practices, learnings.  I spoke with a scientist at HARC when researching my thesis, who studied how farming groups for example under Peace Corps guidance adopted new farming practices.  They found that lots of factors affected adoption, including cultural and group pressures.  Books like the Tipping Point speak about this process describing how a community is infected with a virus or the word-of-mouth explosion of the shoe market for Hush Puppies.  It is clear that once you have passed a tipping point for a population, the new entrant will proliferate throughout.  The numbers required to reach a tipping point were frequently staggeringly low.

        Someone recently told me that all we need to convert our US auto fleet from petroleum to electric is 3 Million EV (electrical vehicle) buyers, nation wide.  3 Million is a very small number considering how many cars there are in the US .  But if correct, this very small group of initial buyers of EVs will totally and completely transform US markets for automobiles from petroleum to electric.  That is power!

        Tyra

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 16, 2010

          That’s very useful, thank you, Julie.

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 17, 2010
            Here is the article I was talking about and this company is in Michigan.
            You are right about the politics of it all. The thing is that while we are waiting
            for the big guns to move we can be making whatever changes we can at the
            levels that we are in. I have given an example of my daughter (woman) that
            works for a big corporation with more than 300 employees. She asked in during
            Christmas how could they recycle all the styrofoam cups the company provides for
            coffee. I told her to uncycle. That they should change to ceramic mugs and this would
            end the use of this awful product. She then proceeded to make a plan for the entire
            company and presented a proposal that included selling their cardboard (which they
            were paying tipping fees to dump) to a company that uses the cardboard and picks
            it up. They accepted the porposal and the company is saving 20,000 dollars a year by
            implementing all the changes. This is not even her area of expertise but she has
            two kids and she is worried about all the trash. A person asked me if she got payed
            for it. I said no. She just did it because she felt the need to do something. BTW she
            just got a job promotion. I am so proud of her! Women power is so important because
            we act out of concerm for the well being of the kids. I send e-mails on a daily basis
            to our politicians and hold hands acrosss the sand but my small and direct actions
            are something I experience and see on a first hand basis and makes me feel like I, as
            an individual am making those changes manifest. I thank you for the work you do as
            it is very needed and important. It is a battle you fight for all of us. Keep up the good
            work! Evelyn

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 25, 2010
              I approached the school store and asked them to sell metal bottles to the students in an attempt to decrease the amount of plastic waste.  I suggested the bottles could have the school logo, so it would be one of those "school spirit items"  Well, the store reply was that the plastic bottled drinks are the major money maker for the store and as long as that is the case and as long as it keeps on making money for the education of our kids, they will not stop it.   The store is run by volunteers who indeed have been donating their time, making a lot of money for the items the district will not buy for us, and who even have a healthy food alternative for the kids.  Everything is very reasonably priced as well.  In summary, I am loosing this green battle, the only think left to do is to keep on lecturing students when neither parents nor administration sees it as a worthy cause?  Moreover: HISD does not pay for plastic recycling services and the city won't do it either!  (I have been personally doing the waste disposal job for the last 4 years)  Comments?

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 26, 2010
                I think the lack of an alternative that is convinient is the issue. An expample is back to school shopping. All of my daughter's friends where in the malls buying clothes. There is a lot of presure to go to places like Forever Twenty one because everything is cute and cheap but a while back I had my daughter watch a documentary that PBS had on how they make the clothes so cheap. It was not pretty... When we were going shopping she was getting
                all excited about the mall and I asked her if she remembered the documentary. It is all it took for her to have a change of heart. We headed to the second hand shop and she found
                all her basics for an average of $5.56 a piece of clothing. Some which had never been worn
                and still had tags on them. In order for me not to take the fun out of back to school I suggested we go to American Apparel to get the one special outfit for the first day of
                school. She loved it! She found a complete outfit for the budget I gave her and spent her
                own money on other items. She was really excited and saw how by changing the way
                we think and act we can still have our cake and eat it too. Today they will have a fashion show: Haute in the Village:Fall in With Green and the proceeds go to the Escape Family
                Resource Center. I thought it would be really expensive but turns out that it only cost a
                $5 dollar donation. What is so exciting is that they will have stores that are in town
                showing off sustainable fashion and the stores that carrie them, which will give me
                more alternatives for fashion other than American Apparel and Patagonia.
                So here is the thing... Would buying a water purifier for the school and providing awesome
                reusable bottles and making trendy be something that would work? They are selling these
                bottles with the ceramic tops (They look like the Groulsch beer bottles on the internet.
                They are the coolest bottles and I found some in a second hand shop. Check them out
                and see if you can get a super great price for buying a bunch of them. Set up filling stations
                at the shop for a fee and make some kind of sock covers for them and sell  those too.
                They come in all sizes and they hold lots of liquid. The bottles are so cool that everyone
                will want to have one or more... My daughter managed to get a really big corporation
                to kick the styrofoam habit! You can do this and if you want help contact me off line
                and I can send you some links or just google glass bottles with ceramic tops. Let me know
                how it goes. As an educator I commend you for your commitment. I know how hard it
                is to get a school to make a change and to convince the students to go along with it!
                Hope it helps, Evelyn

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 26, 2010

                    Evelyn:

                    Great post!!!  Congrats on teaching your daughter the real cost and value of clothing; a wonderful lesson!

                    Thanks for the announcement too about Haute in the Rice Village this evening – it promises to be excellent.  Ruggles Green at City Center is having their Grand Opening tonight too.

                    Some of you may have caught the program on KPFT Monday evening – Interchange.  A group discussion with Ruggles and the Rice Village sponsors revealed what amazing community activism is happening right now for sustainable, healthy living.  The energy in Houston is really exciting now – there is a TON of momentum!  I think we as a community have crossed a tipping point where ideas like yours, Evelyn for changing bottles in schools can happen in the blink of an eye.  One of the things I’ve noticed at events recently is what wonderfully diverse participation we have in Houston for sustainable practices.    Houston is really ahead of the nation in the way our community works.

                    Listen to the amazing program: http://archive.kpft.org/mp3/100823_200001intchg.MP3

                    Thank you, Evelyn!

                    Tyra

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 26, 2010
                      This is a great idea and I bet there will be some really great items!

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 26, 2010
                        Thank you  for the link,Tyra.
                        There is a glitch on my proposition. Glass bottles and students...
                        Oh no!!!!!!!!! Betina's idea is best. the stainless steel bottles should work.
                        Betina I think you just need a business plan to show them how they can
                        still turn a profit and how they can achive this.

                        The program was awesome. I was happy to hear the voices of the guys and
                        that this is not being percieved as a girly thing. I like how they explained how this is
                        directly connected with energy and sustainability and I love that they are backing
                        up a charity!  I have passed the information on to
                        the young generation so they can participate and have fun while at it......

                        Hope to see you there!

                        Music, Food and Wine.....OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Rice Village
                        2368 Rice Blvd Houston Tx 77005
                        713 492 0700

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 26, 2010

                          Alyssa:

                          Could you give the name/place of your friend’s business?

                          Tyra

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 26, 2010
                            It's Cibolo Creek Antiques, but she just does shows. She'll be at the Red Barn at Round Top first weekend in October. You know, folks, antiques are the ultimate in recycling.

                            Alyssa Burgin

                            -- Sent from my Palm Pre

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 26, 2010
                              Dear Evelyn your ideas are awsome and I especially like that about "a fee for refilling with purified water"  because it gives the store an alternative to keep making money despite the long lasting metal bottles.  As I tell my students, every idea needs implementation to see if it is viable.  Have you seen this approach in place anywhere?  Betina

                                From: betina wolfowicz <bwolfowicz@...>
                                To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Thursday, August 26, 2010, 5:52 PM

[...]

                                    I hear you Tyra, persuasion and good alternatives are great.  Also, policy is key.