Re: [hreg] hreg message board

  • RON DAVIS
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12, 2001
      Well said Greg. I agree 100%.

      Ron
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Greg Carrier <gcarrier@...>
      To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 11:13 PM
      Subject: [hreg] hreg message board

      > It seems to me that there would be fewer "unsubscribers", and
      > possibly more useful postings, if this message board dealt more with
      > Renewable Energy, and less with personal political pushing. I know
      > that is why I haven't involved myself here.
      >
      > There is nothing wrong with politics; I just recommend that those
      > messages be posted onto a different message board, or that this
      > message board be renamed to better account for its primary usage.
      >
      > -Greg
      > Houston
      > solar and renewable enthusiast

    • William M. Bell, Jr.
      Message 2 of 7 , May 12, 2001
        I agree.
        > > It seems to me that there would be fewer "unsubscribers", and
        > > possibly more useful postings, if this message board dealt more with
        > > Renewable Energy, and less with personal political pushing. I know
        > > that is why I haven't involved myself here.
        > >
        > > There is nothing wrong with politics; I just recommend that those
        > > messages be posted onto a different message board, or that this
        > > message board be renamed to better account for its primary usage.
        > >
        > > -Greg
        > > Houston
        > > solar and renewable enthusiast
        > >

        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Marge Wood
        Message 3 of 7 , May 12, 2001
          actually I think the politics thing is fine but the reason I'm
          unsubscribing is because it's Houston specific. Marge, who still is
          getting HREG msgs.

          On Sat, 12 May 2001 04:13:51 -0000 "Greg Carrier"
          <gcarrier@...> writes:
          > It seems to me that there would be fewer "unsubscribers", and
          > possibly more useful postings, if this message board dealt more with
          >
          > Renewable Energy, and less with personal political pushing. I know
          > that is why I haven't involved myself here.
          >
          > There is nothing wrong with politics; I just recommend that those
          > messages be posted onto a different message board, or that this
          > message board be renamed to better account for its primary usage.
          >
          > -Greg
          > Houston
          > solar and renewable enthusiast
          >

          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • pkirsch@reliantenergy.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2001
            Ditto

            "Greg Carrier"
            <gcarrier@argussof To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
            tware.com> cc:
            05/11/2001 11:13
            PM
            Please respond to
            hreg

          • ChasMauch@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , May 14, 2001
              Hello HREGers,

              Several recent messages have suggested that there is too much political
              commentary on this board. Since I am the only one I can think of who has
              posted anything remotely political, I assume it directed to me, so I would
              like to make a couple of comments.

              I find it hard to imagine that many people have unsubscribed because of my
              politically oriented posts, of which there have not been more than about one
              per month (maybe two if I'm really worked up). At least I have never been
              driven off a list I enjoyed just because one person made posts that I found
              ignorant, boring, crude, or whatever. I soon identify the offender and simply
              delete all his postings without reading. It's easy to do.

              But in my opinion the whole subject of renewables/conservation is an
              intensely political matter, to which anyone who keeps up with the news will
              surely agree. Some politicians promote these things actively while others
              downplay, deride, and disparage them, saying they are "personally admirable"
              but insisting they are not practical and we should concentrate on fossil
              fuels and what our president calls "nuklar" power.

              I guess it's a matter of whether we want to look at the forest or just the
              trees. It is great to talk about the nuts and bolts such as where to buy
              light bulbs, which is valuable information. I just had the idea that part of
              our objective here is not just to exchange such data but actively to educate
              ourselves about the big picture and promote the basic concept of
              renewable/sustainable in every way we can.

              I can't say that I won't continue to do some "personal political pushing" in
              the future when I come across something I think is very pertinent and
              hopefully of some interest to most of the folks on this board. And many of my
              comments might very well have a political tinge. I find that hard to avoid,
              because I see it is a vital part of our long-range goals. I will try to keep
              from being overly partisan since I realize we have a wide spectrum of
              political views here. However, our president and his vice-president will soon
              be coming out with their energy plan, and I think we should all be watching
              to see what it looks like. Based on what has leaked so far, I can assure you
              it will not be based on conservation or renewables. As I said once before,
              when you dance with a bear, you need to keep your eye on your partner.

              I have seen lists where when someone posts something "off topic" they put the
              letters OT after the subject listing, so I am willing to do that in the
              future if that will be helpful, then those who find such posts objectionable
              can just delete them -- or even all of my posts, which would ensure that
              nothing objectionable slips by. ;-)

              Sorry this is so long, and hope it is not too offensive to anyone. Sometimes
              I get kind of overwrought about things that I find very important.

              Charlie Mauch
              Retired petroleum engineer and ex-candidate for the Texas Railroad Commission
              on the Green Party ticket
            • boylss@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , May 14, 2001

                Keep Up the Good Work!
                I like Your posts, Charlie.
                I don't think it is "You" that needs to change "Your Opinions."

                 We should All have the right to have, "Our Own Opinions,"
                even if, we don't all agree ....

                I like Bush!
                I voted for Bush,
                But I Do Not agree with every Opinion that he has, either!