Well News

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2010

      Happiness is a properly functioning well. For those who don't know our
      recent history, our well pressure tank blew a hole 8 days ago. We just
      got the new tank installed this AM. Here are some things we have learned.

      1. On demand hot water heaters need more pressure than a 1.2HP
      submersible dirty water pump from Harbor Freight puts out. My kitchen
      is a disaster. We have a whole house, propane powered Bosch on demand
      hot water heater.

      2. Standard Pressure tanks drain the water back down the well shaft,
      every time they turn off. This does waste energy as you have to pump
      that water back up next time the pump turns on. However, it also
      protects pipes from freezing weather.

      3. Diaphragm Pressure tanks do not drain back down. This is one of
      several ways they save energy. Your pumps does not kick on as often
      since you have a bladder of air in the tank keeping the pressure up.
      They are cheaper to operate and should pay for the upgrade in about 6
      years with the energy savings. However, we do have to insulate the well
      head and the well house before winter or we will be breaking pipes.

      4. A farm does not do well without water. Two days of no running water
      and 6 days of low flow water really do teach the value of a good water
      system. If using drip irrigation saves water, then I would hate to see
      how much water a sprinkler system would use. Our gardens can go through
      a 1000 gallons of water a day, easily. Granted, this disaster was
      during the hottest week of the summer, but still. This is a high cost
      for local food.
      Garth & Kim Travis
      www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
      Bedias, Texas