RE: [hreg] Re: Composting Systems

  • Scarsella, Thomas M. (JSC-IS4)[TESSADA &
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 6, 2010

      There was a garden store in my hometown and on the countertop was a ruler mounted on a small DC motor.  They’d buried a copper line with a one-way valve and a small in-line generator under their compost pile in the 1950s.  The ruler had been spinning for 40 years at one point with only a few pauses to replace the motor and that sort of thing.  I’m sure a larger-scale project with a serious up-front design effort would generate enough power to light a few bulbs, turn a fan, or maybe run a low voltage appliance like a cellphone.

      The compost behind the garden store was large but they had just flung the copper lines down on the ground.  There was no way they were capturing even one percent of the heat energy produced.  One does wonder what could be done with something like that……

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 6, 2010
        Tyra,

        We use a container (small metal bucket, lid with charcoal filter)
        probably from Pottery Barn for our kitchen scraps and coffee grounds.
        Then we bury the contents in the outside pile from grass clippings.

        Lynden