hreg message board

  • Greg Carrier
    Message 1 of 7 , May 11, 2001
      It seems to me that there would be fewer "unsubscribers", and
      possibly more useful postings, if this message board dealt more with
      Renewable Energy, and less with personal political pushing. I know
      that is why I haven't involved myself here.

      There is nothing wrong with politics; I just recommend that those
      messages be posted onto a different message board, or that this
      message board be renamed to better account for its primary usage.

      -Greg
      Houston
      solar and renewable enthusiast
    • RON DAVIS
      Message 2 of 7 , May 12, 2001
        Well said Greg. I agree 100%.

        Ron
        > It seems to me that there would be fewer "unsubscribers", and
        > possibly more useful postings, if this message board dealt more with
        > Renewable Energy, and less with personal political pushing. I know
        > that is why I haven't involved myself here.
        >
        > There is nothing wrong with politics; I just recommend that those
        > messages be posted onto a different message board, or that this
        > message board be renamed to better account for its primary usage.
        >
        > -Greg
        > Houston
        > solar and renewable enthusiast

      • William M. Bell, Jr.
        Message 3 of 7 , May 12, 2001
          I agree.
          > > It seems to me that there would be fewer "unsubscribers", and
          > > possibly more useful postings, if this message board dealt more with
          > > Renewable Energy, and less with personal political pushing. I know
          > > that is why I haven't involved myself here.
          > >
          > > There is nothing wrong with politics; I just recommend that those
          > > messages be posted onto a different message board, or that this
          > > message board be renamed to better account for its primary usage.
          > >
          > > -Greg
          > > Houston
          > > solar and renewable enthusiast
          > >

          > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Marge Wood
          Message 4 of 7 , May 12, 2001
            actually I think the politics thing is fine but the reason I'm
            unsubscribing is because it's Houston specific. Marge, who still is
            getting HREG msgs.

            On Sat, 12 May 2001 04:13:51 -0000 "Greg Carrier"
            <gcarrier@...> writes:
            > It seems to me that there would be fewer "unsubscribers", and
            > possibly more useful postings, if this message board dealt more with
            >
            > Renewable Energy, and less with personal political pushing. I know
            > that is why I haven't involved myself here.
            >
            > There is nothing wrong with politics; I just recommend that those
            > messages be posted onto a different message board, or that this
            > message board be renamed to better account for its primary usage.
            >
            > -Greg
            > Houston
            > solar and renewable enthusiast
            >

            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • pkirsch@reliantenergy.com
            Message 5 of 7 , May 14, 2001
              Ditto

              "Greg Carrier"
              <gcarrier@argussof To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
              tware.com> cc:
              05/11/2001 11:13
              PM
              Please respond to
              hreg

            • ChasMauch@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , May 14, 2001
                Hello HREGers,

                Several recent messages have suggested that there is too much political
                commentary on this board. Since I am the only one I can think of who has
                posted anything remotely political, I assume it directed to me, so I would
                like to make a couple of comments.

                I find it hard to imagine that many people have unsubscribed because of my
                politically oriented posts, of which there have not been more than about one
                per month (maybe two if I'm really worked up). At least I have never been
                driven off a list I enjoyed just because one person made posts that I found
                ignorant, boring, crude, or whatever. I soon identify the offender and simply
                delete all his postings without reading. It's easy to do.

                But in my opinion the whole subject of renewables/conservation is an
                intensely political matter, to which anyone who keeps up with the news will
                surely agree. Some politicians promote these things actively while others
                downplay, deride, and disparage them, saying they are "personally admirable"
                but insisting they are not practical and we should concentrate on fossil
                fuels and what our president calls "nuklar" power.

                I guess it's a matter of whether we want to look at the forest or just the
                trees. It is great to talk about the nuts and bolts such as where to buy
                light bulbs, which is valuable information. I just had the idea that part of
                our objective here is not just to exchange such data but actively to educate
                ourselves about the big picture and promote the basic concept of
                renewable/sustainable in every way we can.

                I can't say that I won't continue to do some "personal political pushing" in
                the future when I come across something I think is very pertinent and
                hopefully of some interest to most of the folks on this board. And many of my
                comments might very well have a political tinge. I find that hard to avoid,
                because I see it is a vital part of our long-range goals. I will try to keep
                from being overly partisan since I realize we have a wide spectrum of
                political views here. However, our president and his vice-president will soon
                be coming out with their energy plan, and I think we should all be watching
                to see what it looks like. Based on what has leaked so far, I can assure you
                it will not be based on conservation or renewables. As I said once before,
                when you dance with a bear, you need to keep your eye on your partner.

                I have seen lists where when someone posts something "off topic" they put the
                letters OT after the subject listing, so I am willing to do that in the
                future if that will be helpful, then those who find such posts objectionable
                can just delete them -- or even all of my posts, which would ensure that
                nothing objectionable slips by. ;-)

                Sorry this is so long, and hope it is not too offensive to anyone. Sometimes
                I get kind of overwrought about things that I find very important.

                Charlie Mauch
                Retired petroleum engineer and ex-candidate for the Texas Railroad Commission
                on the Green Party ticket
              • boylss@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , May 14, 2001

                  Keep Up the Good Work!
                  I like Your posts, Charlie.
                  I don't think it is "You" that needs to change "Your Opinions."

                   We should All have the right to have, "Our Own Opinions,"
                  even if, we don't all agree ....

                  I like Bush!
                  I voted for Bush,
                  But I Do Not agree with every Opinion that he has, either!