Re: Composting Systems

  • priyanka johri
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 6, 2010
      Tyra Hi!
      I have several different tumblers on display at the institute but my best compost comes out of my pile on the ground. I just used secong hand palletts and made a squarish box. Used a recycled chicken fence around it and started throwing my kitchen waste in there. When you have your waste in direct contact with ground worms and bacteria exchange between the ground and your compost pile helps things break down faster. My on ground compost is ready with in 4-5 months. If some bigger pieces are kleft i just screen it and put it in the next pile. I am a lazy gardner and don't turn my pile too often but allthe earth worms in there do a great job of airating the system.
      Evelyn's idea of pot is also great. All the compost tea that gets in the ground makes it really fertile as you move your compost pile around you will get a nutrient rich patch to plant in.
      Barrels cut in half will do the same job. Paint them black for extra heat. It will give you bigger area but pot will look more beautiful.
      Don't waste your money on tumbler.
      Worm factory works great too and you can use Rubber Maid box it works fine and is much cheaper. Make sure you drill 4 vent holes. Put small louve in there with mosquito screen so worms won't crawl out. Keep it in the dark place as worms like dark and moist space. Works fine. No need to buy worm factory.
      Hope it helps. If you have more questions let me know and you are welcome to visit.
      priyanka
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Priyanka
      Priyanka Johri
      832-277-3577

      Sustainable Living Institute -   www.IndusValleySustainableLivingInstitute.com
      Green Yoga & Retreat Center - www.IndusValleyYoga.com
      Pure Mutts Animal Sanctuary - www.PureMuttsAnimalSanctuary.com
      Green Realty & EcoDesign -     www.GreenHomesEcoRealty.com

      Certified - Ecological Designer, Eco Consultant
                       Eco Broker, Green Realtor
                       Yoga Therapist, Instructor

    • Tyra Rankin
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 6, 2010

        Evelyn:  Thank you so much – I have a lot of big clay pots.  That sounds easy and fun to do the process.  I can’t wait to set them up.

        Best,

        Tyra

        From: Tyra Rankin < tyra@... >
        To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 10:52 PM

        Jay – how interesting!  It sounds like the chemical breakdown process eats up metal tumblers.  The time frame you describe for vermicomposting is really attractive, as is indoor use.  I’m inclined to try the Worm Factory, despite its name.

        Thank you.

        Tyra

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 6, 2010

          The worm idea is fantastic!  Sounds like they speed up the process.

          Thanks, Anne

          Tyra

          I have also seen online directions for making worm composters out of Rbbermaid bins with holes in them.  They are probably not as suitable for indoor use, though!

          Jay – how interesting!  It sounds like the chemical breakdown process eats up metal tumblers.  The time frame you describe for vermicomposting is really attractive, as is indoor use.  I’m inclined to try the Worm Factory, despite its name.

          Thank you.

          Tyra

          It depends on how much space you have. If you have lots of outdoor space, you can't beat a regular compost heap. I tried several tumbler designs and had reasonable results. The tumbler is faster (6 months for quality compost instead of 12), but I am on my third tumbler and they are getting expensive. The metal parts keep rotting out, even the stainless steel ones. Maybe I should try aluminum :) The traditional heap definitely wins out as you compost more and more quantity, particularly homesteads or farms.

          Recently I have come to like vermicomposting. That means composting with worms. I use the "Worm Factory 360". It can be used indoors with no smell, and is very fast compared with either tumber or heap methods. Compost now takes only 3 months. The 360 can handle about a pound a day. It's awesome for most urban and suburban people, but totally inadequate for homesteads or farms.

          What I now use is the "Worm Factory 360" as the primary composter. I keep it indoors. Any excess waste beyond the 1 pound a day goes into the old tumbler. I will quit using my last tumbler once it breaks (I give it 2 more years, tops) and go back to a regular heap.

          Good luck :)

          --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Tyra Rankin" <tyra@...> wrote:

          > I know this group is Renewable Energy, not gardening, but many of you are
          > serious gardeners. Are there composting systems you recommend buying for
          > household kitchen waste?
          >

          > Tyra

        • Scarsella, Thomas M. (JSC-IS4)[TESSADA &
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 6, 2010

            We put our compostable materials in a pile, on the ground, up against a chain link fence.  We always have three adjacent piles in different stages of decomposition.  One we add to, one that’s getting ready to be dug out, and one we’re taking finished compost from.  We sieve most of what we dig out and toss the bits that may need a little more time onto the pile we’re currently adding to.  In Houston, it takes about a year for a particular pile to thoroughly break down but we always have some compost available and we’re never more than a few months away from a fresh batch.

            Everything that can go into the compost does; we don’t worry too much about having a green-skewed green to brown ratio.   Most of the compost goes back into the various garden beds.  Any excess gets spread somewhat randomly around the rest of the yard.

            Be mindful:  Size matters.  The bigger the pile, the more heat it generates and the faster the mass gets reduced to something useful.  In a cool climate a small compost pile can sit on the ground for an eternity and take years to break down.  If your compost does not get noticeably more compact after a Summer rain, it’s too small and you need to add more material to it.  Beware of adding whole bags of grass clippings in a big clump.  They will undergo anaerobic decay and get stinky-slimy before the good microbes get to work on them. You need to mix grass in with the top few inches of stuff to avoid that.

            Tom S.

            Jay – how interesting!  It sounds like the chemical breakdown process eats up metal tumblers.  The time frame you describe for vermicomposting is really attractive, as is indoor use.  I’m inclined to try the Worm Factory, despite its name.

            Thank you.

            Tyra

            It depends on how much space you have. If you have lots of outdoor space, you can't beat a regular compost heap. I tried several tumbler designs and had reasonable results. The tumbler is faster (6 months for quality compost instead of 12), but I am on my third tumbler and they are getting expensive. The metal parts keep rotting out, even the stainless steel ones. Maybe I should try aluminum :) The traditional heap definitely wins out as you compost more and more quantity, particularly homesteads or farms.

            Recently I have come to like vermicomposting. That means composting with worms. I use the "Worm Factory 360". It can be used indoors with no smell, and is very fast compared with either tumber or heap methods. Compost now takes only 3 months. The 360 can handle about a pound a day. It's awesome for most urban and suburban people, but totally inadequate for homesteads or farms.

            What I now use is the "Worm Factory 360" as the primary composter. I keep it indoors. Any excess waste beyond the 1 pound a day goes into the old tumbler. I will quit using my last tumbler once it breaks (I give it 2 more years, tops) and go back to a regular heap.

            Good luck :)

            --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Tyra Rankin" <tyra@...> wrote:

            > I know this group is Renewable Energy, not gardening, but many of you are
            > serious gardeners. Are there composting systems you recommend buying for
            > household kitchen waste?
            >

            > Tyra

          • Tyra Rankin
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 6, 2010

              This is fascinating, Tom.  With all the heat generated, composting could become a renewable energy project after all!

              Thank you very much for such useful guidance.

              Best,

              Tyra

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 6, 2010

                There was a garden store in my hometown and on the countertop was a ruler mounted on a small DC motor.  They’d buried a copper line with a one-way valve and a small in-line generator under their compost pile in the 1950s.  The ruler had been spinning for 40 years at one point with only a few pauses to replace the motor and that sort of thing.  I’m sure a larger-scale project with a serious up-front design effort would generate enough power to light a few bulbs, turn a fan, or maybe run a low voltage appliance like a cellphone.

                The compost behind the garden store was large but they had just flung the copper lines down on the ground.  There was no way they were capturing even one percent of the heat energy produced.  One does wonder what could be done with something like that……

                Jay – how interesting!  It sounds like the chemical breakdown process eats up metal tumblers.  The time frame you describe for vermicomposting is really attractive, as is indoor use.  I’m inclined to try the Worm Factory, despite its name.

                Thank you.

                Tyra

                It depends on how much space you have. If you have lots of outdoor space, you can't beat a regular compost heap. I tried several tumbler designs and had reasonable results. The tumbler is faster (6 months for quality compost instead of 12), but I am on my third tumbler and they are getting expensive. The metal parts keep rotting out, even the stainless steel ones. Maybe I should try aluminum :) The traditional heap definitely wins out as you compost more and more quantity, particularly homesteads or farms.

                Recently I have come to like vermicomposting. That means composting with worms. I use the "Worm Factory 360". It can be used indoors with no smell, and is very fast compared with either tumber or heap methods. Compost now takes only 3 months. The 360 can handle about a pound a day. It's awesome for most urban and suburban people, but totally inadequate for homesteads or farms.

                What I now use is the "Worm Factory 360" as the primary composter. I keep it indoors. Any excess waste beyond the 1 pound a day goes into the old tumbler. I will quit using my last tumbler once it breaks (I give it 2 more years, tops) and go back to a regular heap.

                Good luck :)

                --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Tyra Rankin" <tyra@...> wrote:

                > I know this group is Renewable Energy, not gardening, but many of you are
                > serious gardeners. Are there composting systems you recommend buying for
                > household kitchen waste?
                >

                > Tyra

              • Lynden Foley
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 6, 2010
                  Tyra,

                  We use a container (small metal bucket, lid with charcoal filter)
                  probably from Pottery Barn for our kitchen scraps and coffee grounds.
                  Then we bury the contents in the outside pile from grass clippings.

                  Lynden