Fwd: [TurningHoustonGreen] Comment: "Does The Meter Really Turn Backwards With Solar?"

  • Stephanie Edwards-Musa
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2010
      Hi Everyone,

      I am curious to know if anyone can answer this question?  I honestly have no idea what he is talking about but the question has been addressed on my website a couple times now.  If you have a business I would be happy to address it in the response to this guy.

      Stephanie Edwards-Musa
      Realtor, Certified EcoBroker
      Mobile:  281-635-9444
      Prudential Gary Greene, Realtors
      www.TurningHoustonGreen.com
      Steph@...

      Author : chuck (IP: 144.160.98.31 , txintdef.sbc.com)
      E-mail : chuck@...
      URL    :
      Whois  : http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=144.160.98.31
      Comment:
      Is it ok/legal, to plug into a wall outlet and pump power back into your home without notifing the power company or signing a contract in Texas?  Doesn't this require an additional meter installed by the power company that only your own generated power plugs into ?   Thanks

      You can see all comments on this post here:
      http://www.turninghoustongreen.com/2009/01/09/does-the-meter-really-turn-backwards-with-solar/#comments

      Trash it: http://www.turninghoustongreen.com/wp-admin/comment.php?action=trash&c=16223
      Spam it: http://www.turninghoustongreen.com/wp-admin/comment.php?action=spam&c=16223

    • Dottie And Bill Swann
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2010
        If you install solar or windpower, or any other form of "distributed generation", then Centerpoint needs to know about it for the safety of their lineman. They require a lockable disconnect between the solar and the line. See their website for the specifics. At the moment, I am consuming 4.61 k-watts. If I had solar, I would need more than 4610 watts in order to slow down and stop the meter. I do not know what the local arrangement is, if you generate more than you consume. I think that in Cal, the value of the excess energy is what you pay for it. Locally, the value of that which you generate is on a par with what you pay, up until the time the meter reverses. Until we get net metering in Texas, I would not plan on turning the meter backwards. I would think that local energy providers would welcome the installation of solar, in order to avoid building more coal power plants. The cost of coal after cap and trade ( or fee and dividend) is implemented, will make solar more attractive.

        Thanks, Bill Swann

        On Aug 4, 2010, at 10:02 AM, Stephanie Edwards-Musa <steph@...> wrote:

        Hi Everyone,

        I am curious to know if anyone can answer this question?  I honestly have no idea what he is talking about but the question has been addressed on my website a couple times now.  If you have a business I would be happy to address it in the response to this guy.

        Stephanie Edwards-Musa
        Realtor, Certified EcoBroker
        Mobile:  281-635-9444
        Prudential Gary Greene, Realtors
        www.TurningHoustonGreen.com
        Steph@TurningHoustonGreen.com

        New comment on your post #365 "Does The Meter Really Turn Backwards With Solar?"