      From: hreg@yahoogroups.com [mailto: hreg@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of William S
      Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 9:21 AM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [hreg] Depletion allowance.

      I had a thought. The depletion allowance for the oil companies is to compensate them for the depletion of the resource. (15% of gross revenue) We all know that oil is finite - we are transitioning to the harder to get oil. I wish there was a way to divert the depletion allowance to require the oil companies to invest in solar, and sustainability. This is a business decision, and some of the oil companies are doing this - BP Solar for instance. The depletion allowance provision in the tax code needs to be re-written to encourage investment in longer term energy sources.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic