9874RE: [hreg] Lurking Beneath the Surface, CSM

  • Robert Johnston
    Jun 4, 2010

      Of course, I wasn’t suggesting that Ahmad was minimizing the spill itself, but rather, that he was minimizing in the sense of downplaying.  I think you were pulling my leg since you used the word yourself in that way in your second paragraph.  ;-)

      As for human error, what else would it be?  It was either a human error or an ‘act of God’ (i.e., natural event, random bad luck).  Seems pretty obvious to everyone that it was a human-caused event.  The gas and oil didn’t spontaneously erupt from the ocean floor; it was a result of human drilling activity.  Since it wasn’t intentional (conspiracy theories aside), it was an error.  I don’t think that minimizes the responsibility or culpability at all, and I can’t imagine that was Ahmad’s intent.  And yes, I’m aware of BP’s record at Texas City etc.  But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t an error.  Incompetence, bad judgment or even negligence, but not intentional.  Why would they knowingly and intentionally ruin all their hard drilling work, knowing they would destroy the company’s market value in the process?  So, it was an error.

      All of life is a series of risk vs. reward judgments.  We can always armchair quarterback and state the obvious after the fact.  But it isn’t so obvious up-front (or else we’d have avoided it).  And we willingly take risks because the perceived risk is lower than the actual risk.  I see people everyday driving zoned out while they talk on their cellphones, and sometimes they do crazy stuff like change into my lane without looking at  me at all—I have to brake to avoid being run into.  I’m sure they all think THEY can do it safely even if others can’t.  So their perceived risk is less than the actual risk.  I take a risk everyday I drive to work.  But my perception of the risk is that it is low and that the rewards of working are worth it.  If you ask me again after I have a bad accident and am quadriplegic I’ll tell you the actual risk was higher than I realized and that if I’d known I’d end up in that state, I’d have never gone to work; nothing I was doing there was worth being paralyzed the rest of my (shortened) life.

      I’m not saying BP made a good judgment of risk vs. reward.  I think they made a bad one.  But everybody makes these kinds of judgments, and we often decide wrong like BP did.    And even if some people at BP made bad decisions, there are thousand of BP employees and most of them are like you and me—going to work each day to work hard for their families and trying to make the world a better place, providing products that people need.  I can’t go along with the demonizing for that reason.  Neither can I go along with the hypocrisy of demonizing while living a livestyle that utilizes the fruits of the labor of the demonized.

      Robert

      From: John P. Matznick <jpmatznick@...>
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, June 2, 2010, 9:46 PM

      Thanks Ahmad.

      On another note, I had been talking with some colleagues this last weekend about the reuse of oil platforms off many US coasts. Once they get shut down or when the oil runs dry, whichever comes first, would they make good locations for sustainable eco colonies, ports? Would the colony be able to be its own county if in international waters? What is the realistic lifespan of these platforms if they are still maintained and what needs to be maintained if anything?

      Power would be supplied by multiple sources, med to large scale wind about a mile from the platform, solar electric and thermal, wave systems, drinkable water from desalinization and Atmospheric water generator, multiple levels of gardens with Hydroponics and Aeroponics, Etc...

      I remember seeing a show in the UK about a couple that bought one off the coast of Scotland but have not found any info on them.

      Regards

      John P. Matznick

      Renewable Energy & Sustainability Consultant

      Green Tech Fusion

      888.642.0226

      www.GreenTechFusion .com -  Sustainable & Renewable Technologies

      On Jun 2, 2010, at 8:44 PM, Solar Energy wrote:

      Why did I choose solar as my Identification?

      I chose solar energy as my ID because I believe in it & I believe it is the cleanest and the most abundant energy source.  Installing mega size solar power stations across North Africa could supply much needed energy source to Europe.  This project is about 5 years away.  Today, Spain & Germany are two of the biggest producers of solar/thermal energy in the world.  The US is way behind because the Americans love their SUVs and they don't give a damn about what the rest of the country and the world think.  America is the only country where people have more SUVs than cars.

      Nearly all Americans are drug addicts whereby oil is the drug and the Americans are junkies.  They need to wage wars on other countries to get a supply of their drug habits.

      Question: howmuch impact HREG member have made on the general public to switch to renewable energy?  I am sure you have but not very significant.

      On the other hand I have been proposing large size solar projects to other countries.  I am now in discussions with a group in one country to install big solar power stations in the order of 10 MW and larger.  In fact, I am proposing to the country to make solar energy as a required course in high schools and to encourage younger children to build solar panels for toys.  It does not have to work but it will generate their interest at early age.  I am telling you this in case any one on this board doubts my seriousness in renewable energy.

      I defended BP not because I want to defend oil companies, even though I spent 41 years in the oil industry. I just like the truth be told & I believe the mainstream media are some of the biggest crooks in America.  They are controlled by a few priviliged group of people and they have an agenda to push. They caused the Wall Street disaster and it was not by oil companies. Once more, the Gulf of Mexico spill was an accident.

      I have had the pleasure of working with some of the greatest minds in America.  I believe that I could apply some of the technology that I have learned in the oilfields to improving the world we live in.  And that's why I intend to do.

      Ahmad Solomon

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic