      From: hreg@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of James McKethen
      Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 12:05 PM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [hreg] Next Step

      what is the next step?

      From: hreg@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Scarsella, Thomas M. (JSC-IS4)[TESSADA & ASSOC INC]
      Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 11:02 AM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [hreg] I like solar and wind energy

      There are plenty of mea culpas to go around regarding which party(s) are ultimately responsible for the Deepwater spill.  I too believe that a transition to other forms of energy is inevitable but the world didn’t become dependent on petroleum overnight and it will take years for other forms of energy to become both sufficient and fully integrated.  In the interim, be it ten years or fifty, what we need is for the existing technologies to be used in the most responsible manners possible.  What I find most shocking about this accident is that there was no rapid means of dealing with a blow out should there be multiple system failures.  To be fair, once the failure occurred, the situation confronting BP was one of huge technical challenges bordering on the impossible.  Right now I think we should all wish BP as much luck as possible in capping this thing and stopping the outflow of oil.  Nobody except the lawyers are going to come out ahead on this one.

      Tom Scarsella

      From: Robert Johnston <junk1@...>
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 7:16 AM

      This board/group has a mix of scientists, engineers, renewable energy representatives, homeowners, hobbyists, general tinkerers…etc.  There are those that love to rant against corporations, big oil, etc.  I personally like to read postings from people with inside knowledge, whether they be in the solar industry, oil industry, or whatever, so long as related to renewable and sustainability (and I think some peripheral discussion of alternatives like oil, nuclear, etc., fit into that discussion).  I don’t care for rants that much.  I think Ahmad has made a number of valuable contributions to this discussion on BP/oil spill situation (which was not started by him), and I think it is a shame that he is being asked to shut up (and so rudely).  Diversity of opinion and information is how we learn, and that is why I participate here.  For those that want this to just be an activist group pushing a leftist anti-corporate agenda, this may be unacceptable.  But the reality is that big corporations are also behind the solar industry.  Hmmm…. Come to think of it, anybody heard of BP Solar?  GE Wind Power?  Shall we attack GE wind power for the role GE played in the derivatives/ banking scandal?

      Why don’t we just accept the diversity of views, and if you don’t like a particular slant—whether leftist, centrist, or rightist, whether pro-corporate or anti-corporate—just skip the post or else post a response (without personal attacks)?

      Robert