      From: Stephanie Edwards-Musa <steph@...>
      Subject: Re: [hreg] retrofitting fireplace to make energy-efficient?
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2010, 1:27 PM

      I would think that having any opening would still cause air loss regardless of season....which is why there are many new homes that do not have fireplaces to begin with.

      Even switching to gas it would still have to vent which would be an opening.  There are faux fireplaces that you can put in to an existing opening after you seal it off.

      I know that Green Builders Source on the north side of town has them.

      Stephanie Edwards-Musa
      Realtor, Certified EcoBroker
      Mobile:  281-635-9444
      Prudential Gary Greene, Realtors
      www.TurningHoustonG reen.com
      Steph@TurningHousto nGreen.com

      On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Andrea Wisner <amwisner@yahoo. com> wrote:

      We have realized this winter that the fireplace in our house has no function except to suck all the heat in house out the chimney. Rather than sealing it off, is there an inexpensive do-it-yourself option to turn it into a space-heater of sorts? I'm thinking gas, but maybe electric. If gas, what would be the best option for venting?

      We do already have gas heat, although it's not set up properly and we've been using electric space heaters in kitchen and bedroom and leaving the rest of the house cold. The gas source is just outside the chimney.

      Also, I'd love to receive recommendations of someone to integrate the gas with our new AC system, which wasn't done for some reason. Or are we better off not using the gas for heating the house?

      Any (inexpensive) suggestions would be appreciated.
      Andrea

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic