      From: William & Cynthia Stange <stangfam@...>
      Subject: Re: [hreg] retrofitting fireplace to make energy-efficient?
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 11:07 PM

      Is it a regular masonry FP or one of those gas log things? When I lived in Portland OR. they used fireplace inserts, kind of like a pot-bellied stove but built into a FP opening. Alot of people then used a cooling thermostat and an inline exhaust fan to suck out some of the hot (and I mean hot) air and pump it to the bedroom areas or wherever was needed via an AC duct in the ceiling. Another device was the same cooling therm and fan in a room with windows that faced south and dark tile floor/wall. The passive heat build up on sunnier days could be moved around the house as well. Take some pics so we can see the situation, there's always a way to pester something.
       On a side note, the oak from Ike that I stacked last year came in pretty handy this winter. Got a little needed exersize as well splitting it. Burns hot and relatively clean as fire wood goes. I wonder if  large tanks of water near a hot FP could hold the heat for awhile??? Hmmm. Anybody?
       Bill