9570Re: [hreg] retrofitting fireplace to make energy-efficient?

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Feb 8, 2010

      Several hundred years ago, a man was made a Count for solving this
      problem. His name was Rumford. He devised a way to adapt any fireplace
      to his principles. Kits do exist for making this change. A good mason
      may know how to do it as well. I don't know the cost, I am building one
      from scratch, myself. Google Rumford Fireplaces for more information.

      If you go with gas, try to get an insert that requires no electricity.
      If we get an ice storm, you will still have heat that way.

      Bright Blessings,
      Kim

      Andrea Wisner wrote:

      > We have realized this winter that the fireplace in our house has no
      > function except to suck all the heat in house out the chimney. Rather
      > than sealing it off, is there an inexpensive do-it-yourself option to
      > turn it into a space-heater of sorts? I'm thinking gas, but maybe
      > electric. If gas, what would be the best option for venting?
      >
      > We do already have gas heat, although it's not set up properly and
      > we've been using electric space heaters in kitchen and bedroom and
      > leaving the rest of the house cold. The gas source is just outside the
      > chimney.
      >
      > Also, I'd love to receive recommendations of someone to integrate the
      > gas with our new AC system, which wasn't done for some reason. Or are
      > we better off not using the gas for heating the house?
      >
      > Any (inexpensive) suggestions would be appreciated.
      > Andrea

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic