9374RE: [hreg] Re: Do it yourself Solar Panels

  • Kevin Conlin
    Nov 6, 2009
      I would hardly call pv panels made by Sharp, Kyocera, BP and SolarWorld crap.  They come with a 25 year warranty, and are designed to last 50 years or more.

      They are constructed of high grade materials that aren't even available to the average homeowner.  They have been engineered and manufactured to standards based on 25 or more years of manufacturing experience and field installations.

      For my dollar, I want the benefit of their knowledge, experience and manufacturing economies of scale.

      Even after tens of thousands of systems, I cannot remember a single failure due to a defective module.

      Regardless of cost, they are definitely not crap.

      Kevin Conlin
      Heliosolar Design, Inc.
      13534 Quetzal Lane
      Houston, TX 77083
      C:  (281) 202-9629
      H:  (281) 530-7501
      F:  (281) 530-7501

      From: justin@gulfcoastren ewableresources. com <justin@gulfcoastren ewableresources. com>
      To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, November 6, 2009, 8:31 AM

      I too, would not recommend trying to power your home with a DIY solar kit; however, it would be a great small project for someone with some time and a garage to "tinker" in. Building your own module to power a small device can be fun and a great learning experience for those who don't know the mechanics of PV technology. I bought a small panel from Academy and use it to charge my camping lanterns, or use it to run a small radio that normally runs on a 9 volt battery. My kids love it and it gets a lot of attention when we are at the beach. I have not yet built one myself, but I'm sure it could be a fun project. For those of us who normally deal with large manufacturer' s panels, building your own for small, controlled situations could bring a sense of pride. But again, the notion of building your own to power your home is like most have already said...a bad idea.

      Justin Owens
      Gulf Coast Renewable Resources
      (409)766-0208
      www.GulfCoastRenewa bleResources. com