      From: hreg@yahoogroups.com [mailto: hreg@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of julie herman
      Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 6:18 PM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [hreg] introduction

      I'm new to the list so wanted to say hey. We started with solar hot
      water heaters -- the old passive unit worked a little too well,
      boiled over every afternoon around 5. We used it for 10 years, then
      replaced it with a tankless when the pump broke and the inside tank
      sprang a leak. Right now the only solar part of our house is the
      passive solar effect from the 10 foot porches on the se and nw sides
      of the house. I use roller shades on the back porch to cut the
      afternoon sun, which actually works quite well. The house is pier and
      beam, up 3 feet off the ground and the airflow under the house from
      front to back porch does a good job of cooling during summer breezes.

      We live on 8 acres, most of which is horse pasture. I have a large
      vegetable garden, fish in the pond, and long to have a cow, but the
      husband has threatened divorce if that happens. Of course he said
      that about chickens, which we now have a handy crop of those thanks
      to a 5th grade science teacher (my aiding-and-abetting sister-in-law)
      who hatched a bunch of chicks in her classroom and then needed a home
      for them.

      I work once a week at an organic farm in Brenham that functions as a
      CSA. HomeSweetFarm. com. Kim and Garth are smart to use volunteer
      workers. We volunteers learn a ton and the farm gets an infusion of
      good fresh help.

      Great discussions here. Thanks for the information!

      Julie

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic