8278Re: Nuclear Energy-its long, sorry....

  • Jay Ring
    Oct 30, 2008
      Hey Kim :)

      My math isn't faulty - it is simplified. At least I hope it isn't
      faulty - someone should still check it :)

      My assumptions aren't perfect but you -do- have to put some numbers on
      the page at some point. People will just keep talking about things in
      the abstract if you let them. Ask them to send you a quote and lets
      see how the numbers work out - people suddenly get more grounded in
      reality when they realize they are going to have to actually buy it or
      build it.

      I am very familiar with this because I am running the numbers for my
      own home!

      I picked $.14 because it was the going price on "Power To Choose".
      I'll go ahead and take it past your $.187 and make it $0.20 and that
      still makes the repayment period... 26.8 years.

      My point is that 15 year repayments are not old news, they are present
      reality - and actually pretty optimistic views of present reality,
      which I was "granting" the anti-nuclear crowd with all their most
      optimistic projections. 30 years is a lot more realistic.

      In the meantime, we will be burning coal and buying oil. We need to
      "exercise the nuclear option"!

      - Jay

      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Garth & Kim Travis <gartht@...> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      > My rate is $0.187 per kwh, as long as I don't use much. Taking the
      > listed rate to figure things out isn't reality, the real rate is the
      > entire bill divided by the total usage. Those hidden, extra charges
      > must be included. However, I could run on a 4KW system and have power
      > left over.
      >
      > When I bought my place in 1992, I paid $0.07kwh so there is a dramatic
      > rise in rates, your math is faulty as you are not taking inflation and
      > rising rates into account when figuring out the payback. And while you
      > are at it, figure out the cost of power outages in spoiled food, eating
      > out, fuel to go and eat out as the power is out, etc.
      >
      > Every time I get my usage down, the power company raises the rates, so
      > my bill never gets any smaller.
      >
      > Bright Blessings,
      > Kim
      >
      > Jay Ring wrote:
      > > I don't like my new role as "Mr Grim Reality"! I'm not going to keep
      > > doing it either :) So this will likely be one of my last posts on
      > > this topic -
      > >
      > > But Thin-File tech? Does your company recommend or even sell that
      > > stuff? Could you get your hands on it even if you wanted to?
      > >
      > > It seems like wishful thinking to me. I'll grant you "forward
      > > thinking". Maybe it is the way of the future - but that's my point -
      > > we're talking about the future.
      > >
      > > Meanwhile, waaaay back in the stone ages of late 2008 (today) - what
      > > does a 4kw system cost, and what is the payback on it? Someone should
      > > check my math, but:
      > >

      > > 4 kW DC (installed PV)
      > > 85% system efficiency
      > >
      > > 3.4 kW AC (available)
      > >
      > > Houston is about 4.8 mean solar hours per day:
      > > 4.8 SH * 3.4WK = 16.32 kWH/day, 489.6kWH / month, or 5956.8 kWH/year
      > >
      > > Market rate in my area is currently about $0.14 / kWH, So the value of
      > > the electricity is about $833.95/year
      > >
      > > Your own company, North Texas Renewable Energy, quotes on their
      > > homepage an approximate cost of $8000 per installed KW, which is
      > > maybe a little high, but about in line with other companies. So you
      > > guys charge about $32000 for this system.
      > >
      > > $32,000 / $833.95
      > >
      > > 38 years.
      > >
      > > Q.E.D.
      > >

      > > BTW - I am still going to get one :)