8165Re: [hreg] Re:Dear Centerpoint Energy-

  • Stephanie Edwards-Musa
    Sep 29, 2008
      Jim,

      We should set up a time to talk sometime.  :)

      This is great info.  Seriously, I'd like to see something good happen with solar incentives.  Surely I'm not the only one.

      On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 9:21 PM, Jim & Janet <jhd1@...> wrote:

      What the lobbyists didn't like was the RE industry, led by TREIA, trying to convince legislators to require utilities to buy more wholesale power generated from renewable energy sources. (PV wind, geothermal, bio-fuel etc) It's called the Renewable Portfolio Standard. The first RPS in 2000 required utilities to buy 2000 megawatts of RE and they had 10 years in which to do it.
      The goal was reached in less than 7 years. During the 2007 session, TREIA (we) wanted to increase the RPS to 20% by 2020, a reasonable goal compared to the first RPS. The utility lobbyists blocked it. The RPS was increased only by another 2000 megawatts, about 3%.
      The lobbyists were not upset, they were happy.
      How many lobbyists you ask?
      A senior reporter at the Fort Worth Star Telegram, toward the end of the 2007-2008 session, informed me that TXU had over 120 happy lobbyists registered at the state capitol during that session. TREIA had one.
      The mandated 50 cent charge by the utilities deal would have funded a statewide incentive for PV. The legislation never saw the light of day. A well paid lobbyist is a happy lobbyist.

      Anyone serious about seeing renewable energy legislation approved is cordially invited to join TREIA at the Capitol this 2009 session to visit with legislators and their staff and to encourage them to pass favorable RE legislation. Anyone who exercises this most fundamental right of free speech will find it a truly gratifying experience. You will see thousands of other citizens doing the same thing while supporting legislation they feel passionate about.
      I promise that you will never be the same in your feelings about politics again.

      Jim Duncan
      North Texas Renewable Energy Inc
      817.917.057
      ntrei@...

      From: "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@...>
      Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:54:12 -0500
      To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>

      The cost for implementing the solar incentive, the one that failed in Texas 2007 legislative session, would have saddled every INVESTOR OWNED electric utility customer with a whopping fifty cents per thousand kilowatt hours on every bill.
      The "utility" would bear only the expenses of changing the billing and, eventually, replacing everyones kWhr meter with a digital one.
      Now everyone needs to turn at once and glare at the utility lobby for blocking this no-brainer solution.