8156Re: [hreg] Re: Dear Centerpoint Energy-

  • Stephanie Edwards-Musa
    Sep 29, 2008
      Hi Robert,

      Thank you for bringing about valid points.  I forget that you have no clue what I have done to my home...I post regularly to my site.  I understand that we need to conserve and make changes to homes.

      I'm not trying to be a pain I promise, just trying to discuss and roll around ideas...

      1. My post was directed to having enough power to run what most people are running on a generator.  A couple of fans, lights and maybe a fridge.  All of that should run on 2kw.

      2. Obviously the grid needs fixed, but it would not prevent mass outages again.  I do not believe that CP will do anything of substance with the over 9M proposed by them already a month to significantly reduce this.  If it were not for the 10-11,000 volunteers helping us down here right now to get power restored, we would be in awful shape.

      3.  Mandate Energy Efficiency- Yes.  It is already being proposed at City and State levels.  Solar for everyone.  No, then we would also have to repair them when they break and many people would likely not maintain them.

      4.  I would not purchase solar without backup, but I can only speak for myself.

      5.  For the sake of what I wrote, I don't know why this is brought up.  1000kw?  The point is, we have skin in the game every month and so do the companies.  They should match at a minimum of 50%  If they do not have their own money in the game, it is nothing more than a loan being paid off over 15 years...the $3000

      6.  If a 1000kw system is minimum then yes. It is bad.  I'm just talking about what could atleast help someone during a situation like this.  Waiting in line for gas not only in Houston but elsewhere around the Nation.  There are fights at gas pumps as far North as Virginia that I have heard about because of gas shortages during the storm.

      7.  Exactly.  They have already proposed to us collectively as ratepayers over 9M a month.  What is that going to give us the next time a storm comes through.  Just 3 years ago we had outages as well during Rita.

      8.  No poor people are being penalized.  The money proposed by CP is simply being used to repair the bad infrastructure.  Already.  Everyone is being penalized.

      On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Robert Johnston <junk1@...> wrote:

      Stephanie,

      I agree with you that at times like this it would be nice to have homes not susceptible to power distribution failures.  In some ideal future state, solar would be so affordable that everyone could have it instead of conventional power (though I'm not sure everyone would prefer independent solar power anyway—see below).  But solar panels are still far too expensive to justify increasing utility bills to subsidize them.  Here are a few questions to consider:

      1.       Do you think the average Houston area consumer of electric power can afford to FULLY power their homes with solar at today's solar system prices, or even with a small subsidy?

      2.       Would you favor leaving the grid unfixed and providing subsidies only to those wealthy enough to take advantage of them?

      3.       Or, would you prefer public funding (taxpayer supported, in other words) of solar panels for everyone?  Would you mandate government control of homes and energy usage first, i.e., control of appliance efficiency, insulation, etc., so that taxpayers buy solar only for homes that are already efficiently operated (conservation being the least expensive option)?

      4.       Do you think that all solar installations will have their own backup storage adequate for night time use, etc., or will they need a grid to tap into?  (in which case we have to fix it anyway)

      5.       Suppose we leave the grid unfixed (or fix it, doesn't really matter for the argument), and add an extra $20/mo per 1000 kwh for solar panel subsidies.  In 15 years, this would be $3600.  Suppose after adjusting for program costs, this results in a $3000 subsidy.  What do you think the cost of a 1000 kwh/month solar system would be?  One recent estimate I found was $50,000 (http://www.babeled.com/2008/08/27/home-solar-panel-cost-analysis/).  Where would everyone get the remaining $47,000 after applying their $3000 subsidy?  (Even if the $50,000 estimate is high, and even if some federal tax credits also were applied, the cost is still MUCH higher than the average $3000 subsidy that would be available if everyone used it).

      6.       If only the wealthy can afford a solar system, what do you think of the fairness of a system that increases the monthly utility bills of the poor so that subsidies can be given to the wealthy?  (since they'd be the only ones able to afford the remaining $47,000 per 1000 kwh capacity, they'd be the only ones claiming subsidy checks).  If only 1/10 of consumers claimed the subsidies, then the subsidy could be increased to $30,000.  So the rich get $30,000 and pay $20,000, and the other poor suckers foot the bill.  What a deal!  (This is worse than use of tax credits for renewable energy because at least taxes are collected on a progressive scale and the poor don't may much or any, whereas utility bills fall on the poor and rich alike and thus the subsidy would impact the poor in a regressive way [or would you propose utility bills be linked to income, and we file income forms with our utility applications?!]).

      7.       Major storms hit our area once very ~25-30 years (the last one to do this kind of damage in my area was Alicia in 1983).  Consider that the life of a solar panel is about the same 25-30 years.  Which is less expensive, repairing power distribution every 30 years or replacing solar panels every 30 years?  If $10/mo for 15 years is the cost of repairing the distribution system per 1000 kwh, then our cost as homeowners is $1800 per 1000 kwh/mo.  I can easily afford $1800 compared to $50,000 (or even just the solar panel part of the system if the rest is still OK).

      8.       As things stand today, the wealthy can—whenever they choose—opt out of the system and save the $1800 per 1000 kwh by applying it towards an independent solar system.  At least in this case, though, they only save what they themselves would have paid, not the payments made by the poor who couldn't afford to take advantage of the subsidy.  Isn't this a better way to have things?  It still increases the incentive for solar (vs. the pre-storm case), but without penalizing the poor unfairly.

      Even if solar becomes much less expensive, there is no guarantee that the ultimate preferred business model will be standalone home-based installations.  Electricity consumers may in the end prefer distribution from a central solar installation (perhaps located in El Paso, where efficiency would be higher, or at a central solar furnace instead of PV, etc.) in combination with wind, natural gas backup, etc.  What is safe to say is that as technology continues to develop, costs of renewable energy will decrease.  If we don't interfere in the market system by providing artificial "taxes" and subsidies, the chances of arriving at the best business model and mix of technologies are increased.  (As an example of wasted money, look at all the money spent on hydrogen fueled transportation; without all the government subsidies and regulation, this wouldn't have happened, and that money might have been more quickly channeled into what private industry and the marketplace has concluded is the most effective next technology, hybrids and hybrid plug-ins).

      I'll repeat my earlier statement:  There is no free lunch.  Even when the government (or Centerpoint) gives you a "free" lunch, it isn't truly free.  Subsidies increase inefficiency and irrational resource allocation (look at corn-based ethanol as just another example).  I think you should try to keep as much of your money in your own pocket as possible—don't volunteer it to Centerpoint—and then use it in the manner that YOU determine is the most beneficial for you and your family.  Who knows?  Maybe that will mean buying a CFL or installing more attic insulation, not worrying about solar panels.  You may find that the extra $20/mo you want to volunteer to Centerpoint would buy enough attic insulation to save you the $20 plus the $10 for power distribution repairs.

      Regards,

      Robert Johnston