8149RE: [hreg] Dear Centerpoint Energy-

  • Jack Wagner (HSN)
    Sep 29, 2008

      Never hurts to float ideas. One thing we were wondering the past weeks as we sat without power is how would solar panels fair during a hurricane. Our neighborhood in NW Houston had quite a few trees on houses. And what about the wind? We’re still toughing it out without a generator but likely have permanent hearing loss from the mega decibel blast of the generator next door.

      From: hreg@yahoogroups.com [mailto: hreg@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Stephanie Edwards-Musa
      Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:27 AM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [hreg] Dear Centerpoint Energy-

      Hi Everyone,

      Hope it is ok to post this in to the group, but I was thinking the
      other day about how Centerpoint Energy is going to charge everyone
      to repair the lines that were damaged by Hurricane Ike. The more I
      thought about it the more I realized how absurd this was so I put
      together this article on my website and wanted to know what the
      group's thougts were on the topic.

      Basically, instead Centerpoint bringing in over 9M a month to repair
      overhead power lines why not consider Incentives for their customers
      and Houston area residents to install Solar Panels? Here is is. If
      this should not have been posted to the group, I can remove it.

      None the less, I would love to hear your thoughts.

      Hurricane Ike was only a Category 2 Storm. Yes it caused a lot of
      damage, I'm not downplaying that. But it could have been a lot
      worse. To date there are still nearly 500,000 people without power
      in the Houston area, a full 2 Weeks after the Storm.

      On top of that Centerpoint Energy, the company that owns and
      maintains a Majority of the Lines in and around Houston announced
      that they were going to charge Homeowners, Renters, anyone who has
      Electricity $3.50 per 1,000 kwh a month to repair what was broken.

      That is not bad. I will not feel that $3.50 a month as most
      Homeowners won't. BUT that is for 15 years! Let that soak in for a
      minute. 15 Years. It was just 3 years ago that we had this SAME
      problem with Hurricane Rita that was not even as Big of a Storm as
      Ike was. So what happens when another storm rolls through? What
      then?

      I think this is absurd. Why? Why are we going to pay to repair and
      have MORE overhead power lines surrounded by trees that fall in the
      wind and storms, get struck by lightning and take Power Lines down
      with them. WE ARE IN A HURRICANE PRONE AREA!

      Here is the Math behind the Rate Hike:

      Everyone pays a MINIMUM of $3.50 a month

      Atleast 2.58 Million Customers affected according to recent numbers
      released in the media

      Equals a MINIMUM of atleast $9,030,000 each month

      Which over 15 years Equals, well, too much money

      So here is my request to Centerpoint Energy. I think it makes sense.

      Dear Centerpoint Energy, please- instead of adding a measley
      $3.50per 1,000 kwh used to my bill every month please add $10.
      Heck, make it $20! But here is what I ask that you do with it.

      Go ahead and repair what is broken. However please do not build
      more poor infrastructure that is so incredibly susceptible to
      Hurricane and Tropical Storm weather. Instead offer incentives for
      Homeowners to go Solar. A simple 2kw system on a Rooftop would run
      almost everything in an average home. It would run a Refrigerator,
      Fans, Lights, Television….everythi ng but your HVAC system. Oh,
      WOW! That is what people are paying $50-$60 a day right now to run
      on a Generator!?! By the time you pay $500 for a generator, add $60
      a day for gas to run it Homeowners have incurred Well over $1,000
      and possibly $2,000 already because of our lines to be taken out.
      The residents in and around Houston are the ones that pay you to be
      in business. Without us, you would not exist. Not that it is
      really relevant, just a reminder.

      If you need more reasons why this should be a no brainer, here ya go:

      -Solar power is produced MOST when your Grid is the weakest. Smack
      in the middle of the day. That is when Houstonians crank down their
      A/C to stay cool, Refrigerators work harder to stay at temperature,
      etc. You would likely not have to build MORE Grids.
      -From the looks of the media right now, your Customer Complaints are
      at an all time HIGH. Just imagine what it would be like with a
      little Solar on every roof. A whole heck of a lot less.
      -Solar Panels sustain Hurricane Force winds, unlike overhead power
      lines.
      -With Solar Thermal Hot Water we could still have Hot Water during
      outages.
      -I could even install a Solar Power HVAC system!
      -Rates are still going….UP Power is NOT getting CHEAPER- That means
      your costs also.

      Why would we charge everyone, including renters, $10 a month per
      1,000 kwh used? Don't. Keep the hike at $3.50 for Renters and make
      it $10 a month for Homeowners. You already ask whether or not
      people rent or own, right? That's reasonable. Atleast in my mind.

      My point is, Hurricane Ike could have been a Category 5 and it is
      likely that we would still have 1.5 million people without power
      right now. How does atleast $9 Million a month justify putting us
      back in that same, highly vulnerable position?

      Incentives for us to go Solar, this really should be a No Brainer.
      Thanks.

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic