8043Re: 'Major discovery' from MIT primed to unleash solar revolution

  • Jay Ring
    Aug 1, 2008
      Do I detect a note of sarcasm?
      Are you kidding? This baby is off the charts!

      I could be completely wrong about this, but the use of a cobalt based
      catalyst is a pretty good development, yes? Combined with the Polymer
      Electrolyte Membrane (PEM) fuel cell, that pretty much gets platinum
      completely out of the picture.

      Still I always thought the hardest problem would be storing it. You
      either have to put it in a low pressure tank or use cryogenics, either
      was is expensive and both require a compressor and you lose a lot of
      efficiency, never mind having to store explosive gas.

      I think storage is going to be a much bigger problem and until that is
      solved I don't see how it is going to be practical.

      Have a good one guys!

      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Philip Timmons <philiptimmons@...> wrote:

      > Sure, I think I can explain it . . .
      >
      > It is research funding time, so we need to publish . . . .
      >
      > WE ARE DOING GREAT THINGS (tm)
      >
      > aka, Plea$e $end more re$earch money.
      >
      > Overall, you are correct.  Storage of PV produced electricity is not
      the problem with PV.  The cost of the PV on the front end is.  But it
      is much easier to solve make believe problems with make believe solutions.

      > Have we reached Peak BS, yet?  I am still waiting for my 200 mpg
      carb from the last go 'round.

      Robert
      > Johnston
      >
      > Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 3:37 PM
      >
      > To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
      >
      > Subject: RE: [hreg] 'Major discovery' from MIT primed to unleash solar
      > revolution

      > Interesting, but I don't get it.
      > This is simple electrolysis—same thing you did in high school chemistry
      > lab.  Maybe there is less fouling of the electrodes or something, but it
      > isn't clear from the article what the big advantage is.  pH
      neutrality may
      > allow it to better simulate photosynthesis, but who cares?  We don't
      have
      > to simulate photosynthesis conditions in the hydrogen generation
      part of the
      > cycle.  In any case, seems to me the biggest bottleneck is
      generating the
      > electricity, not generating hydrogen (though that is one candidate
      method for
      > energy storage).  Guess I'll have to hear more about this to see
      what the
      > big deal is.
      >

      > Robert

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic