      From: hreg@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Robert Johnston
      Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 3:37 PM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [hreg] 'Major discovery' from MIT primed to unleash solar revolution

      Interesting, but I don’t get it.  This is simple electrolysis—same thing you did in high school chemistry lab.  Maybe there is less fouling of the electrodes or something, but it isn’t clear from the article what the big advantage is.  pH neutrality may allow it to better simulate photosynthesis, but who cares?  We don’t have to simulate photosynthesis conditions in the hydrogen generation part of the cycle.  In any case, seems to me the biggest bottleneck is generating the electricity, not generating hydrogen (though that is one candidate method for energy storage).  Guess I’ll have to hear more about this to see what the big deal is.

      Robert

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic