7340Re: [hreg] Commercial aircraft flight partial on biofuel

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Feb 25, 2008
      But, they can make biodeisel out of bamboo. I don't have the details,
      but I found it in the excellent book: Bamboo: The Gift of the Gods by
      Oscar Hidalgo-Lopez.

      Bamboo can help protect our top soil when planted around the perimeter
      of the field, can prevent erosion in very wet areas. It provides
      excellent fodder for ruminants, can be harvested every year. Makes
      better paper than wood, and the list goes on and on.

      I agree that growing corn, most of it, is dumb. It is not a good return
      on the dollar for environmental issues. It is a heavy feeder with a low
      protien return. And definitely not the plant of choice for biofuels, by
      anyone but the government.

      There are many plants that can provide what we need, grow fast and don't
      harm the environment, that can be exploited. Not food plants, although
      bamboo is that too.

      We need integrated systems, such as a methane digester off the rabbitry,
      which produce fuel and the effluent is used to fertilize the fields that
      feed humans and the rabbits. I am personally working on this one.

      Bio fuels will need to be part of our solution, but as has been pointed
      out, they must be produced wisely.

      I don't know the plant that was named, was it a food plant? I don't
      think it was.

      Bright Blessings,
      Kim

      Kevin Conlin wrote:
      > I heartily agree, burning food is not the answer to energy problems.
      > Climate change is already shifting the patterns of agriculture, and not
      > favorably. By burning food we are only exacerbating the problem, and
      > we’re losing topsoil and groundwater to boot. Who thought this was a
      > good idea?

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic