7066RE: [hreg] Automakers adding more MPG to new cars

  • Ryan Evans
    Dec 2, 2007
      and as far as you claim that we're sending
      "all the jobs to china"

      I drive a Honda Civic that is 15 years old. with
      170,000+ miles on it. still starts and runs smoothly,
      and passes emissions.
      with it's ten gallon tank it still gets 330 miles
      each fill-up
      My wife has a Honda Civic, 8 years old. still starts
      and runs smoothly, passes emissions, new it got 42
      miles to the gallon, now it still gets 39 miles to the
      gallon after being driven over 200,000 miles....one
      day my dream is to own a diesel car and convert it to
      a bio...but for now I work for not a whole lot of
      money and for practicality I will not pay money for a
      car that i have to spend 30 bucks on every three days.
      the only cars I've seen so far that have the most bang
      for the buck are the hondas
      the hondas are several thousand dollars cheaper than
      an american car with the same amount of engine
      power.....even then you could find a cheaper american
      car, but I am an extremely frugal consumer and from
      what I've found, the only american cars that have a
      cheaper price tag, have less power(do not do well at
      all on the highways) and by reputation don't have the
      long life you get from a honda or even toyota.
      Are the asian car makers smarter than us?
      do they have some secret that we don't know about?
      I don't know why the u.s. auto quality is the way it
      is, but
      I'm guessing what they are doing is nothing we can't
      do oursleves......so are we sending all the jobs to
      china?
      maybe
      if that's the case
      then why?
      why is the concern of losing jobs to the overseas car
      makers not a big issue?
      why has it been decades and no real substantial change
      has been made to the way cars are made here in the
      u.s.?
      what does it all boil down to?
      you guessed it
      the consumer!
      well then why haven't things changed sooner?
      because by webster dictionary, the definition of
      consumer is
      "one that consumes" that is the first entry in the
      definition
      we are consumers.
      the corpoartions convince us to eat something, we eat
      it
      they convince us that something is "cool" we must have
      it....
      when no one is there to tell the makers, "don't do
      that, it will kill people" they wil continue to sell
      as long as there are people to consume and since we
      live in an age of consumerism...well, the numbers
      simply add up.
      the car is a MACHINE that has proven itself time and
      time again over decades that it is capable of Great
      destruction. Stricter and greater numbers of
      regulations should have been put on these contraptions
      a long long time ago.

      <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51731/*http:/mobile.yahoo.com/sports;_ylt=At9_qD
      > KvtAbMuh1G1SQtBI7ntAcJ%0d%0a> it now.

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs