6974Re: [hreg] Re: UK's theory on growing biofuels w/ocean algae

  • Ariel Thomann
    Nov 1, 2007
      And there was the article about algae in West Texas from a recent HouChron see:
      http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/5195599.html

      Ariel
      generations.
      ------------------------------------

      > Hi William,
      >
      > A professor at the University of Hawaii is working on a similar
      > project. Essentially they would use CO2 emissions from existing
      > plants to 'grow' the algae (pond scum) and mix with sunlight. Here is a link
      > for Professor Fu's project. It is very interesting.
      >
      > http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/May/12/ln/FP705120347.h
      > tml/?print=on
      >
      > Thanks for sending us a great link!
      >
      > --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "William" <stangfam@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Farming algae for gas and oil production? Link at the bottom of the page.
      >> It's "outside the box" thinking like this that may one day fall on
      >> concept that utilizes energy production in parallel with the Earths
      >> ecosystems instead of agaist them. Maybe captive ponds would give better
      >> insurance to not disrupt current environs, with the
      > possibilty
      >> of hydro-electric being generated with any of the fall/movement of waters.
      >> In a microcosm take the bayous of our areas. It has taken an
      > immense
      >> amount of energy and materials to corral and direct natural/flood waters
      >> thru the city yet, there is no thought of using that moving water to
      >> generate energy back into our system. While working with
      > TPWD
      >> & Harris Co. Flood Control to give natural areas considerations
      > think
      >> of the output given our heavy storms and runoff? Small micro-
      >> generating plants at flood control gates, every existing structure that
      >> crosses the bayous(bridges/spillways). I think our rainfall
      > total
      >> this year is around 53 inches, multiply that against what COULD
      > have
      >> been generated? I realize it is not an answer to total energy
      >> independence but it may add to what we need. Another part of the answer.
      >> Just a science fiction day dream of what could be achieved
      > if
      >> scientists are looking at growing algae for oil/gas.
      >> Any thoughts on the reality of this out there?
      >> 11/1/07 barrel of crude 96.00 and counting......Bill
      >>

      >> http://motoring.reuters.co.uk/reuters/vocmain.jsp?lnk=101&id=2432
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic