6670Re-Roofing is not Green Roofing

  • Gary Beck
    Jul 31, 2007

      This is mildly ‘green’ email with the balance is completely commercial so if that bugs you read no further.

      In case anyone needs a good GREEN* roof call my brother.

      I just rejected a TDI windstorm roof on a new home because the roof was improperly nailed. Hopefully they can fix it, but unfortunately improperly installed roofs must often be torn off and discarded into a landfill – THIS IS NOT A VERY GREEN PRACTICE!

      The installer was apparently the low bidder who was inexperienced or just ignored the roofing manufacturer’s installation minimums.  It looked like this roofer may have used (maybe) two 1/2 inch nails per shingle! (instead of six 1-1/2" full penetration nails typically required by the roofing manufacturer to meet the windstorm rating).

      My brother Scott and Brinkman know all requirements for all roofing types (composition, membrane, tile, metal concrete, etc) for all Gulf coast areas. Brinkmen is sometimes considered to be pricey if compared to low-bid companies like the above, but Scott can get the bid right and then keep the crew right if you call him and tell him need a good roof. Scott's cell number is 281-627-0436 and his email is scbeckhou@... - cell is better.

      If ever needed, ECO has a free basic but comprehensive composite roofing specification to help with those ‘low-bidder’ roofers. It was developed with info provided by Scott and gleaned from Brinkman literature. Our short suggested roofing specification covers both TDI zones and non-TDI areas. Call or email ECO to request a copy or to discuss your green engineering needs.  For green* roofing feel free to call Scott or Brinkman, or to forward this email to any friends or associates in the building business.

      Gary Beck, P.E., LEED AP

      Eco-Holdings LLC

      4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd., Suite 114

      Houston , Texas 77025

      Tel: 713-377-4209

      Fax: 832-201-5338

      Cell: 713-530-1950

      Webs: www.eco-holdings.com, www.texasengineer.com

      * In this case I am defining a green roof as one that will lasts longer due to correct installation causing it not to be replaced in 10 or 15 years by another roof causing the first roof with all that asphalt, adhesive, and tar going into one of our local landfills.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic