      From: hreg@yahoogroups.com [mailto: hreg@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Kevin Conlin
      Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 9:50 PM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [hreg] Solar powered A/C

      Hi Paul,  I’m afraid that’s over my head.  I’m familiar with the technology, but can’t explain it chemically, perhaps one of the smarter engineers can explain it.  The absorbtion chillers do not have conventional compressors, the heat is used to drive a chemical process using lithium bromide where I think it is vaporized, then used to absorb heat as the reaction reverses. It is a chemical phase change process, not a vapor/compression process.

      With regard to using water to cool the Freon in a conventional AC unit, I think those do exist, they are called de-superheaters and they make domestic hot water by pre-cooling the Freon before it enters the coils.  The problem is there is more hot water than the household can use, so it’s effect is limited. A Houston AC generates more hot water than even a swimming pool can absorb, even using spray bars for night time cooling, a NASA engineer tried it some years ago, and as he put it, he had the largest crab-boil in Houston !

      Sorry I don’t have time to Google any of this, I’m just getting back from vacation to several hundred e-mails and going from memory.

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic