6579Re: [hreg] Solar powered A/C

  • evelyn sardina
    Jul 9, 2007
      A freind just got back form Costa Rica.  He brought back a picture of a long black hose that sits on top of a roof in a work house in the farm where he stayed.  It provided all the hot water needs for the shed. It was rolled up in many layers and was just sitting on top of the roof.  I think it was tied to the roof.  I asked him to email to the group but he unsuscribed.  It seems to me we make things that have simple solutions simply too complicated. I am not suggesting a hose on top of our houses but a tankless water heater or solar water heater?

      Ariel Thomann <ajthomann@...> wrote:
      I had lunch last week with a friend whose family still lives in the island of
      Dominique. As I understood it, all (new?) houses there must harvest rainwater
      and use photovoltaics on their roofs. Sorry, I have no details.

      Ariel
      generations.
      ------------ --------- --------- ------

      > Hey Steven:
      >
      > I recall about 10 (maybe more?) years ago hearing about a hotel in the
      > Caribbean using solar a/c, but I didn't hear anything more about it. It
      > seems like we would hear more about it if it were successful. However, my
      > cynical side makes me wonder if information is being suppressed. I would also
      > be very interested in more information. I wonder what effect scale has on
      > such a system. i.e. Would it be suitable for residential use. It bothers me
      > to hear our a/c sucking up energy all summer long (but not enough to turn it
      > off & sweat).
      >
      > Welcome to the group.
      >
      > Henry
      >
      > Steven M <marzolian@yahoo. com> wrote:
      > Greetings, all.
      >
      > I was raised in Venezuela, where it's no hotter than Houston but it lasts all
      > year round :-). Both there and in Texas, I have often
      > thought of all the energy being used just to keep things cool indoors.
      > Wouldn't it be better if there was an A/C system that sat on the roof and
      > worked better the hotter it got?
      >
      > Years later, on the first day of my first class in thermodynamics, the
      > professor asked us to write down briefly what we knew about the
      > subject, and what we hoped to learn. Alas, the class didn't give me any easy
      > answers to that question, but I'm still interested,
      > especially with our electric rate hikes here in Houston the past
      > couple of years.
      >
      > Then, a few weeks ago I saw an article about a solar-powered
      > airconditioner. It was not just solar cells connected to a
      > conventional (Freon-type) unit, and it's not a "swamp cooler", but there
      > wasn't enough information to understand how it works.
      >
      > I once read somewhere that the Houston metro area has the largest
      > concentration of A/C devices in the world. Don't know if it's true, but it
      > makes sense. We're so big, our electric rates are so high, and it's so hot,
      > that if those systems make sense anywhere, it would be here. Or would it?
      >
      > Yesterday I went went looking online. There are lots of proposals out there,
      > but I didn't find any local contractors, nor any aystems that seem to be
      > available as immediate replacements for conventional A/C.
      >
      > Does anyone have any thoughts or information about the status of solar
      > powered air conditioners? Is there any likelihood that they'll be more
      > practical any time soon?
      >
      > Steven Marzuola

      8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time