6573Re: [hreg] Solar powered A/C

  • Dans1@PDQ.NET
    Jul 9, 2007

      I can attest to the use of solar screens.  I had a new house built 4 years ago and the first year the Family room and upstairs got real warm in the day time with the thermostat set at 81.  The back of the house has 4 large widows the length of the family room, bay windows in the breakfest room and bay windows in the master bedroom plus two windows upstairs back bedrooms.  all these windows face West North West so they get most of the heat during the day.  After having solar screens installed by Solar Screens of Texas at $50.00 each on all these windows, the house stays a lot cooler and the electric bill has dropped about $125.00 a month or more.  My house is 2700 sq feet and my electric bill in april was $59.00 and the May Bill was $115. but it was much hotter in may than April.  Still the savings is pretty substancial from the previous years.  I would say that I have saved more in electrical cost than what I paid for the solar screens.  One other thing I have noticed since the screens were installed was that the house is also quietier as I don't hear as much outside noise as before.  I also should say that all the windows are double glazed windows as well.

      Dan S.

      NW Houston

      On Mon Jul 9 8:06 , evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@...> sent:

      When you have lived in warm weather you know what to do.  Open your windows, use fans and shower before you go to bed.  When you are not willing to sweat....using cfl, an automatic thermostat and fans should help greatly. If the air conditioner is the way to go then at least we can try to minimize the use of it. There is a company called solair that has a solar airconditioner but I think one unit only covers about 3 rooms at a time.  Keeping the sun away from the house is probably the best bet. Solar screens and planting trees near windows also helps.  At my permaculture class it was discussed to use trees that shed leaves in the winter to aliviate the cold.  I planted shrubs that grow tall near my windows and trimmed the bottoms to make them look like trees.  I have picture windows on my living and dinning room areas.  My house is like an oven I rather keep the sun away. In the winter just put a sweater on!  Adding a deck with a roof keeps the sun from hitting my windows directly.
      go slow because it takes some money and sweat to make the changes.  I dont mind, I intend to build a house later and all the projects are useful learning tools.  If you would like to learn about how to be more sustianable visit the animal farm in Cat Springs. I grew up in Puerto Rico, as you know we can aclimate to heat but we are very spoiled!
      Welcome, Evelyn

      Henry H Haynes <henryhh@sbcglobal. net> wrote:
      Hey Steven:

      I recall about 10 (maybe more?) years ago hearing about a hotel in the Caribbean using solar a/c, but I didn't hear anything more about it.   It seems like we would hear more about it if it were successful.  However, my cynical side makes me wonder if information is being suppressed.  I would also be very interested in more information.  I wonder what effect scale has on such a system.  i.e. Would it be suitable for residential use.  It bothers me to hear our a/c sucking up energy all summer long (but not enough to turn it off & sweat).

      Welcome to the group.

      Henry

      Steven M <marzolian@yahoo. com> wrote:
      Greetings, all.

      I was raised in Venezuela, where it's no hotter than Houston but it
      lasts all year round :-). Both there and in Texas, I have often
      thought of all the energy being used just to keep things cool indoors.
      Wouldn't it be better if there was an A/C system that sat on the roof
      and worked better the hotter it got?

      Years later, on the first day of my first class in thermodynamics, the
      professor asked us to write down briefly what we knew about the
      subject, and what we hoped to learn. Alas, the class didn't give me
      any easy answers to that question, but I'm still interested,
      especially with our electric rate hikes here in Houston the past
      couple of years.

      Then, a few weeks ago I saw an article about a solar-powered
      airconditioner. It was not just solar cells connected to a
      conventional (Freon-type) unit, and it's not a "swamp cooler", but
      there wasn't enough information to understand how it works.

      I once read somewhere that the Houston metro area has the largest
      concentration of A/C devices in the world. Don't know if it's true,
      but it makes sense. We're so big, our electric rates are so high, and
      it's so hot, that if those systems make sense anywhere, it would be
      here. Or would it?

      Yesterday I went went looking online. There are lots of proposals out
      there, but I didn't find any local contractors, nor any aystems that
      seem to be available as immediate replacements for conventional A/C.

      Does anyone have any thoughts or information about the status of solar
      powered air conditioners? Is there any likelihood that they'll be
      more practical any time soon?

      Steven Marzuola

      The fish are biting.

      ---- Msg sent via Internet America Webmail - http://www.internetamerica.com/