6425Re: [hreg] Continental Airlines offers carbon offsetting program

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Jun 1, 2007
      Of course we are all aware that the government usually makes a mess when they try to regulate things, but I still say "free markets" cannot exist without a certain amount of government "interference", especially in the oil business. To begin with, John D Rockefeller's Standard Oil was rapidly gobbling up the whole industry back in the old days and would have had a vertical cartel from wellhead to gas pump if the antitrust laws had not broken up his little playhouse. The banks collapsed during the depression and people lost all faith in the system until the government created the FDIC and offered some security to the depositors. When the savings and loan industry was deregulated the gentlemen who owned it commenced to steal everything that was not bolted down and it finally cost the taxpayers half a trillion dollars to clean up that mess. Pure food and drug laws, air and water pollution controls - there are all kinds of examples of how the "free market" has had to be restrained and regulated to protect the greater public interest.

      To rely on free markets to develop needed things does not always work. The Internet was developed with government money and those presently using it to make billions of dollars consider themselves to be free marketeers but clearly are not. Same for nuclear power - developed entirely by the government. Highways and other infrastructure critical to private enterprise were not the result of private efforts, and neither were the laws governing contracts and other business transactions without which business could not be easily done. Many books have been written on all this, of course, but I believe the bottom line is that "free enterprise" could not exist without tax support and regulations, which usually are not done in the best way and are often downright counterproductive but nevertheless totally necessary.

      Our energy policy is not simply a matter of who can make the most money in the most efficient way - it is an integral part of our national security which is dependent on our foreign policy (no matter how badly that is being mishandled at present) and therefore inevitably a political as well as an economic problem - maybe even more so. Like many other things that clearly impact our lives, there appears to be little we can do to influence the situation, other than educate ourselves as best we can and maybe do some brainstorming about the fix we are in. It might seem best to let the market handle it, but that will not happen - it is too serious and there is too much money and political power involved. Our government no longer represents the average citizen, if it ever did - it has been totally captured by big money and various special interests. Unless and until we figure out how to recapture it, we will remain at the mercy of those special interests that have little or no interest in our concerns or the national wellbeing. A sad commentary on the state of our great democracy, but there it is.

      Charlie

      In a message dated 6/1/2007 6:23:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, edsarlls@... writes:

      I agree.

      If the free market gets it wrong they go broke.

      If the government gets it wrong they just increase taxes to make it last longer.

      Ed Sarlls