548Re: [hreg] Hydrogen economy and such

  • Jim Akkerman
    Jan 12, 2001
      Technical Feasibility of Space Solar Power

      Summary of Statement of Ralph H. Nansen,

      President Solar Space Industries

      Before the House of Representatives Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics

      September 7, 2000

      Mr. Chairman, Members of the Subcommittee, thank you for inviting me here
      today to testify about the feasibility of Space Solar Power. The last time I
      appeared before this Subcommittee was in 1978 when I accompanied the
      President of Boeing Aerospace Company to testify concerning the same
      subject. At that time I was Program Manager for Solar Power Satellites for
      the Boeing Company. Today I am retired from Boeing and am currently the
      President of Solar Space Industries, a company I formed in 1993 to promote
      the development of Solar Power Satellites. I also wrote an advocacy book
      about Solar Power Satellites in 1995 titled, SUN POWER: The Global Solution
      for the Coming Energy Crisis.

      Much has change in the last 22 years since I was last here, but one thing
      that hasn't changed is the fact that Solar Power Satellites are still not
      under development. However, the time is now right for their development to
      begin.

      The studies conducted in the late 1970's determined technical feasibility
      and the potential promise of Solar Power Satellites for delivering,
      abundant, low-cost, nonpolluting electric energy to all the nations of the
      world.. Studies since that time have reaffirmed this conclusion. In addition
      much of the infrastructure that did not exist in the 1970's has been
      developed for other programs, dramatically reducing the development costs.

      A low cost reusable space transportation system required for space solar
      power has not yet been developed. However, Solar Power Satellites would
      provide a large enough market to justify its development.

      The need to develop space solar power is becoming more apparent as we see
      energy demand growing throughout the world, energy prices rapidly
      increasing, oil reserves dwindling, and the threat of global warming. Space
      solar power can solve these problems.

      A potential interim step is transmitting energy from one location, that has
      excess energy capabilities, to another location on the earth by reflecting a
      wireless power transmission beam with a relay satellite in geosynchronous
      orbit. Because the relay satellite would be light in weight, it could be
      launched with existing expendable launch vehicles.

      One of the key issues before us today is what should the government be doing
      about space solar power. The development of the system should primarily be a
      commercial development, however, because of the size of the program required
      and the international implications it should start as a government/industry
      partnership. The primary role of the government would be to provide
      leadership and seed money to initiate the program, coordinate international
      agreements, support the development of high technology multi-use
      infrastructure, establish tax and funding incentives, and assume the risk of
      buying the first operational satellite.

      Industry can provide most of the developmental funding and be responsible
      for the design and development of the system. It is essential that the
      satellites and the space transportation system be developed in a commercial
      environment if they are to be viable commercial ventures.

      The following steps by the government would bring this about.

      1.. Assign a lead agency within the government. The Department of Energy
      is the logical lead agency with NASA providing the primary technology
      support.
      2.. Fund a Ground Test Program to demonstrate the satellite functions of
      power generation, the wireless power transmission system, and integration of
      the energy into a utility grid. This program would also demonstrate the
      capability of relay satellite power transmission.
      3.. Obtain frequency allocation for wireless power transmission.
      4.. Pass commercial space tax incentive bills, like the Zero Gravity, Zero
      Tax bill.
      5.. Incorporate testing for solar power satellite technology into the
      plans for the International Space Station.
      6.. Continue technology development for reusable space transportation
      systems.
      7.. Consider the implementation of loan guarantees for commercial
      development of reusable space transportation systems.
      8.. Commit to the purchase of the first operational Solar Power Satellite.
      With this plan implemented the commercial industry would have enough
      confidence to proceed with development. Most important of all is the fact
      that whatever nation develops and controls the next major energy source will
      dominate the economy of the world.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic