5092Re: [hreg] From hurricane resistant PV systems -> solar hot water

  • Ariel Thomann
    Oct 4, 2006
      Do you have any large windows facing West, South, or East?

      Ariel
      there is NO ONE who will help.
      ------------------------------------

      > In the USVI, we are not required to use solar water heaters, but many people do,
      > simply because the cost of electricity is so ridiculous. Would you believe that the
      > kwh just went up to 30 cents in July???
      >
      > In answer to your question: we bought one 50 gallon solar water heater which serves
      > the cabana (easily). The cost was 1895.00, and the rebate was 700.00. We also
      > bought two 80 gallon water heaters; they were 2450.00 each and the rebate on this
      > size was 850.00 each.
      >
      > We are now trying to find the most efficient, hurricane resistant and cost effective
      > way to use solar power for each of the three houses (cabana, daughter/son-in-law,
      > ours). Any suggestions would be great!
      >
      > Susan
      >
      > On Oct 3, 2006, at 1:06 PM, Ariel Thomann wrote:
      >
      >> Oh, while on the subject of St. Thomas houses, I'd like to re-
      >> ignite an earlier
      >> 'string'. I understand in most of the Lesser Antilles houses are required to use
      >> solar
      >> water heaters (since they need to import all their fossil fuels at absurd costs).
      >> Is
      >> that true for St. Thomas? If so, how much do those systems cost there?
      >>
      >> Ariel
      >> - We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one
      >> another, since otherwise
      >> there is NO ONE who will help.
      >> - All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic energy policy. Think ahead 7
      >> generations.
      >> ------------------------------------
      >>
      >>> So, it sounds like you strap them down as tightly as possible, and then you take
      >>> your
      >>> chances. From those of you with experience with putting PVs on your roof, how
      >>> does
      >>> this affect your insurance?
      >>>
      >>> Susan, good luck w/ your St. Thomas house. (said w/ a little
      >>> envy) Let us know how
      >>> it works out. That is a little like hurricane ally.
      >>

      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic