5090Re: [hreg] From hurricane resistant PV systems -> solar hot water

  • Susan Silvano
    Oct 4, 2006
      In the USVI, we are not required to use solar water heaters, but many
      people do, simply because the cost of electricity is so ridiculous.
      Would you believe that the kwh just went up to 30 cents in July???

      In answer to your question: we bought one 50 gallon solar water
      heater which serves the cabana (easily). The cost was 1895.00, and
      the rebate was 700.00. We also bought two 80 gallon water heaters;
      they were 2450.00 each and the rebate on this size was 850.00 each.

      We are now trying to find the most efficient, hurricane resistant and
      cost effective way to use solar power for each of the three houses
      (cabana, daughter/son-in-law, ours). Any suggestions would be great!

      On Oct 3, 2006, at 1:06 PM, Ariel Thomann wrote:

      > Oh, while on the subject of St. Thomas houses, I'd like to re-
      > ignite an earlier
      > 'string'. I understand in most of the Lesser Antilles houses are
      > required to use solar
      > water heaters (since they need to import all their fossil fuels at
      > absurd costs). Is
      > that true for St. Thomas? If so, how much do those systems cost
      > there?
      > Ariel
      > - We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one
      > another, since otherwise
      > there is NO ONE who will help.
      > - All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic energy policy. Think
      > ahead 7 generations.
      > ------------------------------------
      >> So, it sounds like you strap them down as tightly as possible, and
      >> then you take your
      >> chances. From those of you with experience with putting PVs on
      >> your roof, how does
      >> this affect your insurance?
      >> Susan, good luck w/ your St. Thomas house. (said w/ a little
      >> envy) Let us know how
      >> it works out. That is a little like hurricane ally.
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic