4952RE: [hreg] building efficiency vs style?

  • Ariel Thomann
    Sep 7, 2006
      Paul: what will you be doing the weekend of 22-24 Sep? Consider going to the
      Renewable Energy Roundup in Fredericksburg [ http://www.theroundup.org/ ] with an
      enroute stop in Austin to experience the breezeway between the admin building and the
      cafeteria at the Lady Bird Center [ http://www.wildflower.org/ ]. At the latter you may
      also get ideas about landscaping with native plants requiring less maintenance, water,
      etc. Enjoy!

      Ariel
      there is NO ONE who will help.
      -----------------------------------

      > If you are going to use large expanses of glass note the following:
      1) be sure to use
      > at a minimum double silver low e. And you might consider
      triple silver low e that is
      > just not entering the market.
      > 2) of course the glass must be insulated. Anytime you use low emissivity
      glass it
      > will be insulatated.
      > 3) you also should consider the spacer material for the insulated units.
      SuperSpacer
      > by Edgetech is a very low conducting spacer material.
      4) also considering putting
      > argon gas in the air space of the ig units.
      5) If you are going to be using large
      > pieces of glass and you don't want to
      see the mullion of the window then you might
      > consider using the "spider
      claw" system of hanging pieces together. This is
      > expensive but it look
      very modern and used a great deal in Europe.
      > 6) You should also consider a large overhand on the top of the roof if
      possible to
      > give the glass shading.
      > 7) if $$ is not obstacle the latest in glass technology is glass that can
      go from
      > transparent to translucent with a flick of the switch. You can
      actually turn a knob
      > to allow more light to less light into the window.
      8) and lastly BIPV - give
      > heliovolt in Austin , Tx a call to see if you can
      beta test their "building
      > integrated photo voltaic" solar panels. The
      solar panels would acutally be in the
      > glass and the energy absorbed during
      the day would go to lighting and cooling your
      > house.
      >

      > Deron V. Patterson
      > District Sales Manager| Guardian Industries Corp. | (Tel: 281.793.3618 | 2
      Fax:
      http://www.sun-guardglass.com/ | http://www.showerguardglass.com/ |
      http://www.climaguardspf.com/

      > "Andrew McCalla"
      > <andrew@meridians
      olar.com>
      Sent by:
      hreg@yahoogroups.
      > cc
      com

      > Subject
      > RE: [hreg] building efficiency vs
      > 09/07/2006 11:30 style?
      AM

      > Please respond to
      > hreg@yahoogroups.
      > com
      >

      > Paul,
      >
      > Beware of blue-sky radiation (it isn't just direct type that will be
      heating
      > you up).
      >
      > The more glass you have, the more imperative it is that you buy nice glass,
      which is
      > a good idea regardless.
      >
      > Keep us all posted,
      >
      > Andrew H. McCalla
      > NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)
      >
      > Meridian Energy Systems
      > 2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
      > Austin, TX 78704
      >
      > Voice: (512) 448-0055
      > Fax: (512) 448-0045
      > www.meridiansolar.com

      Archer
      > Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:21 AM
      > To: Houston RE Group
      > Subject: [hreg] building efficiency vs style?
      >
      > My wife and I have decided to move to Dallas to be closer to (her) family.
      We've been
      > looking at houses, and it's gotten me thinking about
      > building--I've always wanted to build my own home.
      >
      > After living in a mid-century modern house (on a block of mid-century
      moderns) for
      > several years, and especially after looking at a Cliff May
      > (http://www.ranchostyle.com/gallery) house while visiting Dallas this
      weekend, I'm
      > convinced that I want to build something in the Eichler/Cliff
      May style. (For those
      > of you who aren't familiar with that style, it
      includes large expanses of windows,
      > often floor to ceiling. The Cliff May
      we

      > saw in Dallas had one room that was floor to ceiling glass on three sides!)

      > So, the question is: can a modern, energy efficient home be built that
      includes that
      > much glass? Or will there be a severe trade-off between
      efficiency and style?

      > Paul

      This
      > communication may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential, or
      exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any
      dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received
      this message in error please notify the sender by telephone, fax, or return email and

      > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Yahoo! Groups
      gets a make over. See the new email design.