4951RE: [hreg] building efficiency vs style?

  • dpatterson@guardian.com
    Sep 7, 2006
      If you are going to use large expanses of glass note the following:
      1) be sure to use at a minimum double silver low e. And you might consider
      triple silver low e that is just not entering the market.
      2) of course the glass must be insulated. Anytime you use low emissivity
      glass it will be insulatated.
      3) you also should consider the spacer material for the insulated units.
      SuperSpacer by Edgetech is a very low conducting spacer material.
      4) also considering putting argon gas in the air space of the ig units.
      5) If you are going to be using large pieces of glass and you don't want to
      see the mullion of the window then you might consider using the "spider
      claw" system of hanging pieces together. This is expensive but it look
      very modern and used a great deal in Europe.
      6) You should also consider a large overhand on the top of the roof if
      possible to give the glass shading.
      7) if $$ is not obstacle the latest in glass technology is glass that can
      go from transparent to translucent with a flick of the switch. You can
      actually turn a knob to allow more light to less light into the window.
      8) and lastly BIPV - give heliovolt in Austin , Tx a call to see if you can
      beta test their "building integrated photo voltaic" solar panels. The
      solar panels would acutally be in the glass and the energy absorbed during
      the day would go to lighting and cooling your house.

      Deron V. Patterson
      District Sales Manager| Guardian Industries Corp. | (Tel: 281.793.3618 | 2
      Fax: 281.313.4271 | ลก dpatterson@...| http://www.guardian.com/ |
      http://www.sun-guardglass.com/ | http://www.showerguardglass.com/ |
      http://www.climaguardspf.com/

      "Andrew McCalla"
      <andrew@meridians
      olar.com> To
      Sent by: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
      hreg@yahoogroups. cc
      com
      Subject
      RE: [hreg] building efficiency vs
      09/07/2006 11:30 style?
      AM

      Please respond to
      hreg@yahoogroups.
      com

      Paul,

      Beware of blue-sky radiation (it isn't just direct type that will be
      heating
      you up).

      The more glass you have, the more imperative it is that you buy nice glass,
      which is a good idea regardless.

      Keep us all posted,

      Andrew H. McCalla
      NABCEP Certified Solar PV System Installer (TM)

      Meridian Energy Systems
      2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
      Austin, TX 78704

      Voice: (512) 448-0055