      From: hreg@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Sean Kaylor
      Sent:
      Wednesday, August 02, 2006 3:11 PM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [hreg] What is holding back American car companies?

      The engine you are referring to is called a Scuderi split cycle engine designed by the late Carmelo Scuderi.

      About US auto makers. Isn't it ironic that CAFE standards haven't been raised since the mid-1980's? The US is the only developed nation to actually have an average reduction in automobile fuel efficiency in the past ten years. Why aren't CAFE standards raised? While I would shy away from pointing fingers directly- there is a lot of blame centered around the United Auto Workers and the mid-west politicians. The UAW claimes that raising CAFE standards will jepordize passenger safety because to obtain a more fuel efficient vehicle major weight reductions will have to take place. Also, the UAW and domestic car manufacturing firms fear that raising fuel efficiency standards might give foreign competitors a strategic advantage because, just as was mentioned earlier in this post, Hond and Toyota have been successfully designing, manufacturing, and selling more efficient vehicles for several decades now.

      It is rather ironic that Ford and GM are losing money hand over fist not simply because they are losing market share in the compact/sub- compact categories, but mainly because their high profit margin SUV and truck categories are having to compete against Toyota and Honda SUV and truck models. Looks like domestic auto production is declining on all fronts which is unfortunate.

      Sean

      From: "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@earthlink. net>
      To: <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 15:36:05 -0500

      Marketplace is an excellent program for Public Radio quality business news.

      Often the much overlooked business section of your local mewspaper is a very good source of news that does not make it to the local, state or world sections. Let me suggest that everyone start paying closer attention to "business" news.

      Jim Duncan