4658Re: [hreg] What is holding back American car companies?

  • Ariel Thomann
    Aug 2, 2006
      Just think, during WW-II the aircraft companies could design, test, tool up, and mass
      produce fighter planes sometimes in a matter of months...

      Ariel
      there is NO ONE who will help.
      ------------------------------------

      > 2:40pm, blpasemann wrote:
      >
      >> Interesting article today, that Toyota is now the #2 automaker. I feel there is an
      >> underlying reason car dealers are willing to keep losing money and marketshare to
      >> keep promoting gas gusseling vehicles, while Honda and Toyota and kicking their butt
      >> with hybrids and fuel economy. Don't they see this?? I feel the oil companies,
      >> government and car makers are all in this together, but while oil companies are
      >> making record profits, car dealers are losing lots of money and may not recover. I
      >> want to know what other think and if they have some reasons why this is happening.
      >> I personally have driven fords most of my life, but I will NOT by a Ford again or an
      >> American car. I really want to a prius or what I will probably do is build an
      >> electric car or biodiesel. Just wanted to put this out there and see what you guys
      >> think.
      >>

      > I don't know for sure, but I would guess that part of what you (we) are seeing is due
      > to the lag from concept to market that auto makers go through. It typically takes
      > several years for a manufacturer to design and implement something new. I don't know
      > how long, but I'd guess between 3-5 years, depending on how much is new vs how much
      > has already been designed. (Consider an all-new vehicle vs a new body on an existing
      > chassis.) Think about the Dodge Magnum, a big, gas-guzzling beast available with a
      > 300HP (or so) engine. It came out about a year or so ago. It was probably in the
      > works before W. became President.
      >
      > Honda and Toyota have traditionally made smaller vehicles, so were probably in a much
      > better position from the start to offer more fuel-efficient cars and take advantage
      > of today's higher gas prices.
      >
      > Paul
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic