4647Re: [hreg] hreg meeting feed back

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Aug 2, 2006
      How wonderful, good luck on quitting smoking.  I know from experience how hard that job is.  It is not safe to bicycle where I live.  Narrow FM roads leave no room for cyclists.  Three miles would not get me to my post office box and back.  I hope more cyclists take the safety course.
      Bright Blessings,
      Kim

      At 07:46 PM 8/1/2006, you wrote:
      I biked 3 miles today and it took about twenty minutes.   The biggest danger to my health is my smoking.  Exercise helps me try to quit.

      On traffic safety, I took the 12 hour class by geologist Peter Wang, "Safety on the Street - Bicycle Riding for Commters" that he gives at LLU.com   Email him for time of the next session pwang01@...  He commutes 30 miles on his bike.

      At 12:37 PM 8/1/2006, you wrote:
      Greetings,
      For those of you that live in the city and have safe places to ride, I think bicycles are wonderful.  Please, put a rear view mirror on them, though.  I hate seeing people die because they don't see the idiot talking on their cell phone and using the shoulder and driving lane to compensate for their lack of concentration.  While I know the driver of the car is at fault, the cyclist is still dead.  And I still have the nightmares of having watched it happen.  I would hate for it to happen to anyone on this list.
      Bright Blessings,
      Kim

      At 08:58 AM 8/1/2006, you wrote:
      After looking at NEV's (Neighborhood Electric Vehicles), I started looking at LEV's, (Light Electric Vehicles): electric scooters and electric bicycles.   And regular bicycles.  They use the unwanted oils and fats in my butt.

      At 09:16 PM 7/31/2006, you wrote:
      Evelyn,

      About 5% of the petroleum used today goes to making plastics and other materials.  It is sad that we are burning this precious resource.

      Good news! Most plastics are recycleable.  More good news!  People are figuring out how to make plastics from biomass.

      As for electric vehicles...
      Companies making NEV's (max 20 mph on streets up to 30 mph):
      1)  The Gizmo by the Neighborhood Electric Vehicle Company
      2)  The GEM by Daimlier Chrysler
      3)  The Gorilla
      4)  The Lido by Western

      Companies making enclosed 3 wheel EVs:
      1) Twike  (small enclosed 3 wheel electric trike)
      2) Myer's motors (formerly the Corbin Sparrow)
      3) The Doran (homebuild from plans)

      Regards,
      Chris

      evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@...> wrote:
      I thank everyone who contributed to the meeting today. I learn so much when I attend.
      I found the meeting informative and at the same time very light hearted! This one is for Bashir... If we are trying to use less fosil fuels then how are cells made of plastic going to decrease the dependancy of fosils? This one is for Chris... Do you mind posting the name of those to vehicles with the covers? I would like to find out more information about them. I wish the wind and solar people would move faster. It was disheartening to see that we are still so dependent on coal,oil and (God help us all)
      nuclear. I like the idea of the reduced emisions but I think it is just a patch and not a solution. Just thought I put in my two cents.
      Evelyn

      Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643
      3939 Luca St., Houston, Tx  77021

      If we attempt to ... do things ... for the world without deepening our own self-understanding, ... freedom, integrity, and capacity to love, we will not have anything to give to others. We will communicate nothing but our own obsessions, our aggressiveness, our ego-centered ambitions; Thomas Merton quoted in Soul of a Citizen   by Paul Rogat Loeb

      Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643
      3939 Luca St., Houston, Tx  77021

      If we attempt to ... do things ... for the world without deepening our own self-understanding, ... freedom, integrity, and capacity to love, we will not have anything to give to others. We will communicate nothing but our own obsessions, our aggressiveness, our ego-centered ambitions; Thomas Merton quoted in Soul of a Citizen   by Paul Rogat Loeb
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic