      From: Robert Johnston [mailto:rjohnsto@...]
      Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2000 11:41 PM
      To: hreg@egroups.com
      Subject: RE: [hreg] Compact Fluorescents

      It would be nice if HL&P would have a rebate program of some kind.
      Incidentally, I'm still looking for the best place to buy CF's. I
      just found an even better deal online than the one I mentioned
      before. Looks like www.energyguide.com has them really cheap. I
      can get a dimmable CF for half the cost of what RealGoods charges
      for the same thing. A 23W TechnaBright dimmable SpringLight
      (1500 lumens or close to a 100W bulb) is only $12.75. A Harmony
      20W standard CF (non-dimmable) is equivalent to a 75W incandescent
      and only costs $7.25! If you figure that during its 10,000 hr lifetime
      you would buy 10 incandescents at $0.25 each, that means the cost is
      only $4.75. You'll recover that in energy savings at $0.08/kwh in
      just 1080 hours, or probably in less than one year. The other 9000
      hours worth of savings will be gravy.

      At the www.energyguide.com website, they say that several utilities
      offer 2 for 1 instant rebates when you purchase from them. However,
      HL&P was not one of them. Perhaps this is something we could interest
      them in doing, if they don't want to do the same deal as the New York
      utility? From my calculations above, it is obvious that if they do
      a 2 for 1 instant rebate, then consumers can buy these bulbs for almost
      the cost of the equivalent lifetime incandescents. The energy savings
      will all be pure profit then--for both the consumer and the environment.

      I like the idea of HREG buying in bulk if there are enough interested
      members. I don't know if we can do any better than www.energyguide.com.
      Does anyone know of better deals?

      If we really wanted to be ambitious, we could import them. I see that
      they are mostly made in China. I looked at some China websites and see
      where they sell what looks like the same bulb as I bought labeled
      SpringLamp. They are sold wholesale in cases of 100. I have no idea
      what the markup is, but if www.energyguide.com is selling them for half
      of what RealGoods is, then perhaps we can estimate another 50% reduction
      possible if we imported? I have no idea what would be involved in
      importation, but suspect it might be more hassle than it is worth. On
      the other hand, maybe a useful fundraiser?

      Anyway, again, I'm still interested in suggestions from others as to the
      best
      places (online or offline) to buy CF's cheaply.

      Robert Johnston

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic